RATING PHOTOGRAPHS

david latza

Suggestion: If someone rates a photograph less than or equal to 4,

they should be required to post the reason for such a rating. I

believe this could be easily accomplished on this site. It is very

discouraging to see great photos being uploaded, and only to have

people spoil it by rating photos so low.

This comes up a lot, yet the overwhelming evidence is that the content of the comments that would be offered would rarely be of any assistance to the photographer. Mostly it's just genre preference, and there seems to be no way you can require people to understand what they're looking at in order to rate.

The same is often true of the highest rates.

"Nice colors!"

. . . because the site wide average is 5, not 4. . . . . since you asked.

Back when we could see who rated what, it was easy to match low rates with the comment that went with it.

Totally useless . . . . and just gets some photographers all riled up.

We should all just give up and accept the obvious- average is average is average doesnt matter if 4 is average or 5 is average. Resistance is futile.

I do miss being able to correlate the rating to the person. I found some very interesting people that way.

I've read several threads about people low-balling pictures for various different reasons. While I agree that this is a problem, I have to say that I dont think that requiring people to comment on the picture will solve anything unless you can directly connect the commentor with his/her rating, which is a feature that has been removed for reasons that have been previously discussed in other threads. The intention here seems to be to try and find a way to stop those who low-ball pictures intentionally and maliciously. Without the ability to connect the rating with the comments, what's to stop someone from low-balling a pic and then writing a comment like "nice pic, love the colors... blah, blah, blah." Or they could just type out some gibberish to go along with their rating because I'm sure that the admins at PN have plenty to do without having to read each comment to insure that it is, in fact, a valid comment. On another level, some people just don't connect with some pictures for any number of intangible reasons. You might just as well ask them why they like the color blue more than green. I've seen plenty of pictures on PN that I liked, and plenty of them that I didn't. In most cases I could point to certain things in the picture such as out of focus objects or lack of contrast or any of 100 other things. But on a lot of them i couldn't really say why i did or didn't like them.

If you rate my pics less than 6 please explain in comment whats wrong with your monitor...or eyes.

I can't stop looking at this guy who's give out 5000 4/4 and less than 100 5..6..7...3..

Must be bored to tears...yup another 4...yup another 4.. does he go out? Well i saw him give a 5/4 one day. Must have been feeling dangerous.

<i>It is very discouraging to see great photos being uploaded, and only to have people spoil it by rating photos so low.</i><P>

I've gotten low ratings on photos before. I couldn't detect any change in the image as a result. I wonder if I'm using too many preservatives . . .

Oh, sure Bob.. Now I know who left that "dog" comment on my photo! <br>I have the solution to all of this. 1= average, 2=pretty good, 3= pretty darn good, 4= yea I lke that, 5= yea I really like that, 6= that's just short of amazing, 7= That's so damn good, I'm gonna tatoo it on my ass. That way everyone is at or above average. And people might think twice about handin' out 7's. ;-)<br>By the way Bob... what kind of camera does your dog shoot?<br>Have fun, Bill

For what is worth : another option would consist in allowing only a limited number of "1" or "2" ratings per day (or week, month or year !!!). I've seen such rating limitations on some internet sites (not photo sites, though). I'm not sure it's actually effective, but since that kind of topic seems to get back again and again, i felt like bringing my 2 cents up.

I feel like I've seen this thread before somewhere...

Why do I never see a thread asking for people to be forced to leave an insightful comment for a 6/6 or 7/7?

Where's that town I've heard about that everyone is above average?

If your rating average (meaning, the ratings that *you* leave for others) *isn't* close to 4/4 then you are being too generous or, as Bob amusingly suggested, have lost your critical faculties. By definition, average is what your average rating should be.

jon

Like beauty... Ratings are in the eye of the beholder... As are the categories they choose too rate... I never rate below 4..... Not many pic's I see are worse than this... And I always comment if I see an exceptional photo... Also I only tend to rate one category as any one whose seen my highest rated will know.... As for my own galleries I always ignore ratings below 4 for any of my pic's, but take on board the comments that people leave, because they are at least informative.... chris