First Communion Critique Request

michelle a.

This was a First Communion I did in May for a 13 year old girl and her family.

No flash allowed, so ISO for church were in the vicinity of 640 and 1250 most of

the time. I had 3 lenses a Sigma 20-40 f/2.8, my Nikon 50 f/1.8 and Sigma 105

f/2.8.... <p>

Afterwards we went to a religious park called Lasalette Shrine and then onto the

families home to record the cake, and festivities.

<p>

These are just a few of about 300 images from that day. I'm curious as to what

others think. The family loves them and that's the most important thing, but

I'd like to get the opinions of other photographers.

<p>

The link:<br>

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=608825<div>00Gor2-30393484.jpg.c273762eb281c904883818d92608bb20.jpg</div>

Michelle, I think you did a great job. The example shot you gave looks intimate, I like arms

over shoulders, etc.. I agree that the dress is a little blown out in the outside shots but maybe

that's just too much post-processing? The church shots really are pretty.

Z

i'd say you need to get a better handle on the lighting. For me it doesn't pop.

The alter shot could have been better arranged/positioned.

I do like the intimacy of your work - good photog/ client relationship.

Best, Paul

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone....! I really do appreciate it. <p>

<i>"i'd say you need to get a better handle on the lighting. For me it doesn't pop."</i><br>

Fair enough. *smile* Normally I use fill-flash outside. It was cloudy/overcast most of the time we were there, so I chose to leave it off, maybe I should have left it on, as I usually do use flash even on cloudy days. Do you think that would have helped?

I've had a look at the other pics and I think you've handled it very well. The obvious skin tone/dress variation is excellent in most of the other pics so I think you chose the wrong one for this post where the contrast is greater. I'd crop this tighter anyway I think.

Not an easy subject but well handled.

Oh and if the family loves them then who cares what we think LOL!

Kevin

Michelle,

Personally, yes, perhaps it would have helped - ie, your last question. I'm just suggesting that IMO the pix did not pop for me light-wise. For me, I like to see the flashy smiles in these cultural events, even though I'm 99% avail light Leica shooter.

For weddings gigs, First Communions, parties, and such, I try to avoid shadowy pix. A little bit of light highlights the eyes and the pearly whites. It also lights up the all important dress.

For these all important gigs I'll set the Leica aside these days and pick up a H'bld TTL, Nikon F5, or recently My7 and several Metz hotshoe MZ44s. Unless its documentary IMO if its dark LIGHT IT UP BABY (respectfully).

Best Regards - Paul