Pointless question really but was just wondering what is the correct way of

pronouncing summicron, I've always assumed it was (frenetically)sum-me-cron but

whilst talking to Malcolm Taylor (who's repaired my water damaged M2 and I

should have it back next week!) today, he referred to my 40mm as a

(frenetically)soo-micron any thoughts?

I know there are far more important things in life to worry about but I was

just curious,

regards Graham.

Graham, you wouldn't be an american, would you?

I ask because in my experience only americans try to pronounce foreign words in their native language. In my experience, germans, french, and native speakers of spanish pronounce foreign (to them) words as if they were german, french and spanish words respectively. Only we are so insecure or neurotic as to try to conform to what we imagine might be the right way.

As long as your audience understands what you're talking about, any pronunciation will do.

Cheers,

Dan

I am not sure about the correct pronunciation there would be many different ways. The word is German and relatet to mathematic calculations exact translation is Summe - Krone in english sum - crown

meaning the finished calculation is top. Leica used this principle for many other lenses Summaron Summilux Summarex

Dan, For "insecure and neurotic," try also such descriptors as "respectful and interested"--

and then you might be beginning to get the whole picture with regard to the obsession

among some Americans to pronounce 'foreign' words properly.

Having said that, I find it pretty funny to hear an obviously German or Spanish (or other-

foreignly) inflected pronunciation pop up in the middle of an otherwise Americanese

conversation.

I vote for the first syllable to rhyme with a vowel sound halfway between those in the

English words room and sum; a schwa in the middle; and cron should sound like the first

syllable of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Manfred,<br><br>

>>The word is German and relatet to mathematic calculations exact <br>>>translation is Summe - Krone in english sum - crown meaning the <br>>>finished calculation is top.<br><br>

not really. The 'cron' (formerly 'kron') in 'Summicron' is derivd from the word Kronglas (crown glass), a specifc type of glass.<br><br>

Carsten<br><br>

http://www.cabophoto.com/

I've heard the long vowels in 'summicron,' too, but I pronounce them all as short, same with the lux. It'd be a bit odd having a long vowel before a consonant.

On the other hand, I say Foit-lend-er, which is perhaps a touch affected in the UK. Then again, maybe so's a rangefinder... ;-)

Graham, best wishes for your resuscitated M2.