Zeiss 50mm Planar "versus" Nikkor 50mm

tim_franklin

A comparison of these two lenses, by Jonathan Eastland, is in the new (31/5/06) issue of BJP.

There are no firm conclusions drawn in the review, hence the quote marks in my thread title. The Zeiss

lens is praised for its exceptional resolving power, which is undoubtedly superior to the old Nikkor.

The article will appear on the magazine's web site - http://www.bjp-online.co.uk/ - in the next

day or two, though non-subbers will probably need to take a free trial to read it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt that the Planar will resolve more than the old Nikkor 50mm. The MTF's for both the lenses show that pretty clearly.

The only issue is automation. It seems counter-intuitive to slap a lens onto a sophisticated camera body which it cannot communicate with; especially, for DSLR. Such a waste to spend all that money on a hi-tech body.

Furthermore, there are more than 1 modern Nikkor zooms out there that can resolve just as well or better at 50mm with ED & aspherical elements. The Planar is not an apochromatic lens and neither does it have any aspherical elements.

Not unless you have extra money & you just wanna try out Zeiss lenses, I don't see anything compelling from the practicality point of view.

Why hunt elsewhere? Stay <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GQh4">on photo.net</a>. I don't care much about magazine reviews. They're too biased (afterall, Nikon pays more for advertisements than Zeiss).

<br><br>

Arthur, I don't take much of the marketting mumbo jumbo: ED, Aspherical, and the rest of the crap they try to feed you. The proof is in the pictures, and the Zeiss (I have it) has some serious advantages over my other 50 Nikkors. It outresolves even my previous champ, the 50/1.2 AIS, and it fits wonderfully with my D200.<br><br>

The point of using an old AI/AIS lens on a "modern" DSLR, is that I can utilize my "old" glass. The only culprit is, that the D200's focus screen (and D2x, I suppose Shun can attest to that), is not suitable for pinpoint manual focusing for fast lenses. You have to add a third party solution (The Katz Eye focus screen, for example, $100-$150), and then everything seems to click into place wonderfully. It is true that the ZF's won't appeal to most DSLR users, especially the ones with D50 and D70's that cannot meter with these lenses, but I'm pretty sure these are not Zeiss's target market.<br><br>

I wanted a 50 that I could use wide open. At f/1.4... No Nikkor can deliver that, not even the 50/1.2. Add to that better distortion control and 1/3 fstop clicks, and hey, these lenses are winners. Let's just hope Cosina can keep up to Zeiss quality control.

ED: The 16mm f/3.5 does not have any Ed. It is a superb performer.

Many current Nikon zoomz have them (atleast they say so). It is not noticeable from (many of them) the images they project.

Aspherical? Hmm.. that is sounds delicious.

Nano coating? Would it obviate the use of a "protecting" filter?

Let us see how many Nikon lenses (zoomz or non zoomz) out there with an

"Apo" designation? Zero.

Except for a few occasions I could very well do with a body a la F2 and the chip of the D200 and a display on the back. Together with the planar it might be a shame for the "high tech" for some people but I could not care less. On my D70 all I use is M or A mode. Given the choice of an F2 like body with only M or the D70 I have a clear answer.

Yes it would be a bad body for action, fashion etc... cant beat a modern body with an 70-200 F2.8 AFSVREDIF_XYZ for many applications.

"I don't care much about magazine reviews. They're too biased (afterall, Nikon pays more for advertisements than Zeiss)."

Don't judge them all by the alleged standards of certain popular publications. The BJP has an excellent reputation that goes back a century and a half, and is targeted at professionals rather than 'camera enthusiasts'. I'd be very surprised if it allowed its reviewers to be swayed by its advertisers.

There is much more to a lens's imaging qualites than resolution, sharpness. Color fidelity, flare resistance, distortion, curvature of field, bokeh, etc. all contribute to how one appreciates--or not--a particular lens.

You might be surprised about how many D50 and D70 users might be interested in the ZF's. I certainly am, as a D50 owner who shoots almost entirely with AI glass, it will make a nice upgrade from my 50 f1.8E.

Well, Nikon USA lists a 28 f2, a 35 f1.4, a 50 f1.2, a 85 f1.4, and others as manual focus lens currently in their product line. But none of these lens can be found anywhere...

A google search for the Zeiss lens turns up a Malaysian company that ships worldwide and so actually not very convenient. The 50mm is about $650 and the 85mm is about $1350 ...

Ah, Ziess, Schmeiss... :) I decided not to wait and got the last remaining brand new 50mm 1.2 AIS at Adorama in NYC for $420. Great lense. Lovely portraits... Challenging for macros (with ext. ring) but if you nail the focus, the boke is to die for. It was a slum dank decision for me.

>Furthermore, there are more than 1 modern Nikkor zooms out there that >can resolve just as well or better at 50mm with ED & aspherical >elements. The Planar is not an apochromatic lens and neither does it >have any aspherical elements.

There isn't a zoom around that can outperform a modern high-end 50.

Zoom lenses that deliver anywhere near the performance of a modern prime are far and few inbetween and those that do exist cost as much as a compact car ($6000 Leica VARIO-APO-ELMARIT-R 2,8/70-180).

Don't be fooled by the terms APO, ASPH, ED etc. None of these technologies are a magic bullet or guarantee superior performance.

If you're shooting digital I doubt the Zeiss will give you anything the Nikon 50 1.2 won't. I have one and it resolves down to the limit of the sensor on my D200. F1.2 is a little misty but it's crystal clear at F1.4. If you're shooting fine-grain film, or waiting for Nikon to come out with a 22mp, then the Zeiss makes sense.

"Don't be fooled by the terms APO, ASPH, ED etc. None of these technologies are a magic bullet or guarantee superior performance."

I also think that all of those technologies have limited application and value on a 50mm optical design.

On a digital camera it is really a 75mm view that you will see in the exposure. Now for a fast 50mm point of view you need either a Nikkor 28mm f1.4 or the Sigma 30mm f1.4 which will have 50mm field of view and f1.4 max stop, the only thing that it will not have is the shallow DOF of that a 50mm would have because we are using wide angle lenses to compensate for the crop factor.

Yaron,

>Arthur, I don't take much of the marketting mumbo jumbo: ED, Aspherical, and the rest of the crap they try to feed you. The proof is in the pictures, and the Zeiss (I have it) has some serious advantages over my other 50 Nikkors.

Just curious, what are your 50 Nikkors? Have you used any of pro lenses with ED elements? Have you used the Nikkor 28mm/1.4 Asph? Have you used any of the newer DX Nikkors with ED and Asph? I am asking all these just so I can understand where you're coming from.

If ED and aspherical elements are crap to you, then I think you're missing quite a bit from what Nikon can offer. They are the hallmarks of Nikkors, including some of the finest Nikkors such as the 200VR, 300VR and the 70-200VR. ED and aspherical elements are the foundations of the modern Nikkors ; especially, the hybrid/molded asphericals. They raised the bars so that the newer breed of Nikkors can mate well with the high-res sensors.

In terms of the 50mm Planar ZF, I realize that it has good resolution. But, I sincerely doubt it can match any of higher end Nikkors (with ED elements) in the area of crisp color separation. It's pure optical physics: you simply cannot focus lights of different colors on exactly the same spot without apochromatic elements. They will miss the spot and fringing will occur, little or much, depending on the design. In short, a non-apochromatic lens can never match an apochromatic lens when it comes to colors.

Question: You bought a D200 so that you can put a manual lens on it which has no capabilities to talk to the body?

And, how much is this 50mm Planar? Are you telling me no Nikkors can match this $500 Planar?

It's a fine lens but please don't claim that it's silver bullet to replace all Nikkors? Give me a break!

Vivek,

Sometimes, I think you argue for the sake of arguing. :(

>Let us see how many Nikon lenses (zoomz or non zoomz) out there with an "Apo" designation? Zero.

ED/APO/ELD/SLD/UD are all the different vendors terminologies for apochromatic lenses and they mean the same thing: apochromatic.