skeptical about buying used, but I remind him that there are many

bargains out there if one is careful. And I would like to help him

find one.

He's more into people photography than nature if this makes any

difference in body selection.

I would welcome your suggestions for a solid body model, lens and

backs that he should consider; keeping in mind that he fully intends

to replace any film back with a digital back when he's able to afford

it. Also welcome are pitfalls to avoid when selecting such equipment.

Many thanks for your help.

-Dan

Dan,

your friend could start with a used 500 C/M (search eBay), a Planar 2,8/80 and a A12 back. This would allow him to get into digital MF photography anytime he wants: Hasselblad offers a 16MP digital back for use on all V series (that includes the 500 C/M, but the actual model line-up is much bigger, have a look at hasselblad.com), this back is called Imacon Ixpress V96C. 16MP would make him salivate as well, because this combination has a lot of mileage, especially compared to top-notch digital cameras by Canon and Nikon. And it offers him the opportunity to mount a film back onto the body whenever he longs for that certain film look.

Cheers

Jaques

Any Hasselblad 500 C or 500CM model or better. the square format Hasselblad is the

universal constant with all current digital medium format backs and will remain so into the

forseeable future.

Have your friend look for a used Kodak DCS Pro Backs -16mp, excellent image quality and

excellent and well supported Kodak software. Great combo withthe Hasselblad for people

photography. The back should run less than $6K.

How much can he afford? If he really wants new, he could wait for the Mamiya ZD to come out - 22 megapixels in a somewhat-bulky-but-definately-less-so-than-a-hasselblad 35mm-esque body, for an estimated 10,000 euros. I imagine the body style is more comfortable than a hasselblad with prism-finder. Supposed to be out later this year, if I remember correctly. Link <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05022403mamiya_zdpriceavail.asp">here</a>

While he salivates over new digital hasselblad he could buy something like a 500cm + 80mmCF lens which many of us on this forum use. Your friend will be pleased to know when he does get his hands on the new top of the range digital hasselblad that the CF lens he buys will work on it as hasselblad have recently produced a special adapter.

BTW The 500cm works very well with hasselblads new 16mp digital back called the V96C

I think if you KNOW you want to shoot Digi, you might better served with a High End

DSLR.

CROP FACTOR!

If you get a Hassy system and don't have a Full Frame 6x6 Digi back (which you won't)

then you won't have Wide Lenses. Hassy Wides are expensive enough as it is.

If you must have an MF with a Digi Back, a 645 camera would probably be more sensible.

jmp

Mamiya has a new 22MP digital SLR that takes ther 645 AF lenses. Thus, your friend could get a Mamiya 645AF and use the lenses later with a digital body. I think digital sensors larger than 35mm format will remain very expensive for a long time, and full-frame 35mm sensors will be the "medium format" for digital, btw.

Cheers,

Joseph Albert