70-200L IS f2.8 v. 70-200EX f2.8

jojo_ma

Thanks, David. The Sigma for $700 dollars is a fantastic value as its build and overall optics are excellent. I do think the Canon IS is the standard of this category and is the reason most Canon pro-wedding photogs use it. But for the serious hobbyist (or even pro), the Sigma can deliver the goods.

I have never used the Canon 70-200 2.8L, so I don't know what I'm missing, but I have owned the Sigma 70-200 2.8EX for five years, and its a corker.

Firstly, image quality. As your tests show, excellent, even at 2.8. The real test is that I usually mate this lens with the Sigma 2X TC, for wildlife photography. Obviously there must be some image degradation, but I barely notice it, and the results are great provided I use a tripod or beanbag. The fact that the lens works so well with a 2x TC is a real testament to its quality.

Second, build quality. I know Sigma has a poor reputation for this in general, but this lens must be an exception. I use mine almost exclusively on safari, and it has survived 5 years of heavy use in extreme heat, dust, humidity etc, and it still works like new. I've yet to drop it off a cliff face, so I reserve the right to change my views!

Astonishingly good value. Shame it doesn't have IS.

Ed

Were the two shots of the porch both using the same exposure settings? The Sigma shot looks a bit washed out in comparison to the Canon. Is the Sigma perhaps a tad faster? Take a look at the shadows, in the Sigma shot, the shadows are lighter.

I'm considering purchasing this lens (Sigma). This test gives me a lot of confidence that it is the better bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, the shots were done in Av, about 20 seconds apart so lighting was identical. Looking at the EXIF and histogram, the Sigma did expose a tad brighter, about 1/3 a stop.

The Sigma is certainly a power-player. Thanks for the comments.