I want to buy a 70-200 2.8 IS lens - but I'm scared canon will update soon

david_baird2

I'm just about to bite the bullet and splash out on a 70-200 2.8 IS Canon lens... and the only thing

stopping me is the thought that Canon will announce a smaller faster longer version as soon as I do.

I think this lens is about 5 years old now - and although I have heard no rumours to suggest it is likely to

be replaced, I wanted to check with you all, to see if you had any thoughts on this possibility.

I simply wouldn't use it enough to feel I could replace if after a year - this is going to be a long term

replacement!

Thanks so much for any thoughts or help...

David

That's Cannon's flag ship model. The only thing I can think of is a Mark II changing the IS. However, I believe the IS is the latest version, but I'm no expert.<br>

<br>

Canon L lenses do have a good resale value, so you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back if you deside to resale it.<br>

>> and the only thing stopping me is the thought that Canon will announce a smaller faster longer version as soon as I do. <<

If you always wait/worry about the next smaller/bigger, faster/slower, longer/shorter version of anything, you'd end up never buying anything and you'd be stuck forever back at square one.

>> although I have heard no rumours to suggest it is likely to be replaced <<

Well, isn't that good enough? Why worry about something that:

1) doesn't seem to be happening anyway, and

2) you can't do anything about, even if it seemed it was...

>> I simply wouldn't use it enough to feel I could replace if after a year - this is going to be a long term replacement! <<

If you're not going to use it that much, do you need it at all?

I use my 70-200 2.8L about 40% of the time. It's a great lens; always has been, always will be. It'll still be a great lens even after Canon comes out with a "better" one, whenever that might be...

- John

I wouldn't worry. It's difficult to imagine what they could do to improve this particular lens.

It already has the latest tripod-compatible IS, weather sealing and excellent optical

performance. About the only thing I can think of that would make it better would be a focus

preset and the AF stop buttons like the super telephotos.

"About the only thing I can think of that would make it better would be ..."

It's going to be updated soon with a new alloy exhibiting a negative gravity coefficient. The problem with that "improvement" is a further decrease in muscle tone and increased cardiovascular problems among its users.

Be thankful that Canon have actually done a silent upgrade on this lens about 18 months ago - they now use a re-designed IS unit that seems to be much more immune to the lockup problems that plagued earlier production of this lens used with many recent DSLRs.

I don't have this lens, but I do have the EF 100-400L IS. I believe that the 100-400L IS may

be older than the 70-200L IS. Canon has not updated the 100-400, so I think you're safe in

the fact they won't be updating the 70-200 L 2.8 IS anytime soon.

I have the original version of theis lens, without IS. I bought it new about 10 years ago. When the IS version came out, I did not feel any need to replace my old version. My lens has seen some pretty hard use and it both looks and sound the part. It's also a little difficult to get on and off the camera now compared to a new one. For all that, The AF is fast and silent and the images are still like they were when it was a new lens. The only way I'll upgrade it is if it breaks and the repair cost is more than 65 per cent of the replacement cost with a used one. In that case, the "upgrade" would consist of another 70-200/2.8 L, also without IS. There may be a Mark 2 version sometime in the future, but I don't think it would have any major changes. I do wish that Canon made some touch-up paint for the white lenses, mine could sure use it.

<p>Canon has never released a new version of an IS lens. Well, not officially; as mentioned above, there was supposedly a silent upgrade to the IS unit in the 70-200, due to the problems some of the earlier lenses had.</p>

<p>Buy it. It's a fantastic lens, and Canon has no need to replace or update it, as it already has the latest IS. If Canon does surprise the heck out of a lot of us by introducing a new version, you can rest assured that it will cost a lot more, at least initially. And besides which, even if they do, who says you need to upgrade immediately, or even at all? There are lots of people out there taking great photos with lenses which have been discontinued.</p>

I doubt that Canon will debut a 70~200 2.8L IS MK II, or at least anytime soon. Many more

items for them to update in there line up of lenses to do first. For instance 28mm or 50mm,

maybe perhaps a 24~70 2.8L USM IS

Go ahead and buy the 70~200 2.8L USM IS, you'll be safe for many good years to come.

The EF 50-200 2.8L IS DO USM has been spotted being beta tested at the World Cup. Your

new 70-200 2.8L IS USM will probably only sell for $50 on ebay once that puppy hits stores

Fall '06.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

EF 80-200mm f/2.8L - Marketed September 1989<br>

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM - Marketed March 1995<br>

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - Marketed September 2001<p>

Canon usually introduces new gear twice a year;<br>

in late summer and late winter.<br>

Unless you absolutely need the lens now,<br>

you could wait until the late summer announcements are made.<p>

<b>I</b> am not expecting the 70-200/IS to be replaced, but I would not be surprised to see something to compete against Nikon's 200-400/VR being introduced.<p>--

Are you serious? You're afraid?

Ever bought a new car and been afraid that the next year they would come out with a better

designed automobile with more horsepower and better fuel economy? Or how about a

computer? I'm afraid that my current Powerbook is several generations obsolete, as is my

Canon 10D.