Fuji 160 or Reala for Prom pictures

rjclarke

Hi Richard,

I love Reala - gorgeous saturated greens & blues...and red. You need to keep an eye on complexion & skin tones. It will accentuate blemishes, and reddish skin tones. I think I would go with NPS in this case, but I don't shoot in a studio environment, and there may be other factors to take into consideration of which I am unaware.

For people I'd use the Fuji NPH 400 (Pro Portrait). Beautiful slin tones, fast speed and very, very fine grain. I've done some of my best enlargements from NPH - no visible grain at 8x12. Some people prefer rating it at 320, however it depends on your camera's metering ability.

If you are happy with NPS, stick with it. I tried NPS, but went back to Reala. In order to get adequate shadow detail and contrast with NPS, I was shooting at E.I. 80. At E.I. 80, NPS gave me cross-curve problems (i.e. face too red, hair too green- pull red out of face and get greener hair, pull green out of hair and get redder face).<div>00Bhyu-22659484.JPG.ebd2483d48a64e107bcd963638f48f1e.JPG</div>

I've been happily faithful to Reala for 15 years.. Important to find a lab that knows how to print it right! Some labs print too red... A good lab gets great bronzy skin tones - very warm and nice yellowish greens.. Kodak's greens are too cool - bluish for me.. I've tried everything and keep going back to Reala -- Check out my portfolio for examples.