tc-300 or tc-200 for 300mm F/4.5 ed-if

marco_ritelli

Yes, the TC-14B (1.4x) and TC-301 (2x) are designed for the longer lenses, 300mm and longer, that have a recessed rear element. There are some exceptions in borderline cases around 200mm, such as the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-D should use the TC-14B.

In your case with a 300mm, the TC-301 is definitely the right TC.

Christopher,

<P>

Different lens (AF 300/4 vs. MF 300/4.5) and different TC (1.4X vs. 2X). How does that relate to Marco's question?

<P>

Having said that, I don't think the 300/4.5 has a very good reputation for performance with converters (never used it myself), unlike the 300/4 which is superb with the TC-14B (I have used that combo).<p>

From Bjørn Rørslett's excellent site (<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html">http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html</a>) rating the 300 f/4.5 ED-IF:<br> <i>"However, adding teleconverters such as TC-14B or TC-301 gives inferior image quality and isn't recommended except as a last resort."</i><br>I somehow doubt the Kenko's would improve on that.

<P>

Mike

Thank you for your answers, sorry for my late reply but I was on vacation.Sorry also if I'm going to write some foolishness, but by brain is burning, like my skin that now is red like a Ferrari.

I need a 2x converter, so I think I could go for the tc-300 since it's cheper than the 301 and it's dentical, I have a Nikon FE2 so I don't need the Ai-s spec, right? But if I can get an equal good converter for less money, well tellme about it? Are the third party converters up to the original ones?I just need a combo that can giveme a fair good photos, I'm not searching for the excellence.I think you understand my position.Bye

• 2 weeks later...

The combination 300mm F/4.5 ED-IF + TC-200 (mentioned by K. Rockwell and not recommended by Nikon) works for me quite well, even w.o. Not ultrasharp, but clearly more details than without TC or with TC-14.

Resulting 600mm f/9 lens requires, however, a really good tripod.