What Bogen ballhead should i buy?

cnhoff

Hi,

i am looking into the Bogen/Manfrotto ballheads at the moment.

I personally have eliminated the 486 head ( around 45?) from my

calculations, that leaves the 488 and 490 models, which sell for

around 70? and 130? here in Germany.

What model would you recommend? Bogen's are available with several

different QR systems, what would you choose? The heaxagonal Bogen plates?

I am confused, thanks for your help!

Not much.

i have a 70-200 F4 on a Canon Elan 7E with battery grip and a 420 EX flash.

Maybe i will get something in the 300 f4 range with the 1.4x Canon extender sometime in the future, but nothing heavier.

I have the Manfrotto 488 RC2 and it is excellent. I chose it because it was large enough for all the cameras and lenses I'd be likely to put on it, and because it has a separate pan movement and lock to the main ball movement and lock. It also matched the quick release system I already had with a pan-tilt head. I am using the RC2, rectangular QR plates. I'm not sure what the advantage/disadvantage of the RC4 hexagonal plates is.

I have an older Bogen 3038 ball head that is rated to hold 32 pounds. It has the hexhead and it was a real bargain. I purchased used from a camera store for $75 in mint shape. It works better with my heavier 300mm f/2.8 lens, and my 80-200mm f/2.8 lenses. Meaning it seems to move better when it is loaded with some weight. Bogen has now replaced it with a newer model. If purchased "used" they are a good deal if it is in nice shape. Mounted on my 8 pound Davis & Sanborn "Model A" tripod that can support 50 pounds I have a very stable combination for the princely sum of $125 total. If you can afford a Kirk, or other higher end ball head then go for it. But for the financially challenged scroungers like me they should have no problems with a humble Bogen 3038 hexhead ball head. I use a spray lube and that gives the head better, or easier movement for me. Bogen now sells newer hexhead plates that lie flat unlike my hexhead when mounted on a lens, or camera body. Warts and all I like it a lot. Good luck! John C.

I've got a 488 RC2. It's a decent head, holds weight at least up to its declared limit very well (no problems with a CZJ Sonnar 4/300, it weights a ton), ball movements are smooth (after some graphite was applied to it) and it locks well. Separate panning may come handy.

On the other hand, I am not too enthusiastic about RC2 QR system. It has noticeable amount of play between the head and the plate. You may never notice or it may be your worst nightmage. It's totaly up to your style of shooting an your nitpicking habits.

Best regards,

Miha