EOS 10 at iso 100 seem at iso 1600

stephengalea

Lately i was finding that my images are more soft then usuall. All

setting remained the same, sharpness +2, Shot from f2.8 - f16 with

approx the same result....Using canon Macro, 24-70f2.8 canon Lens.

Lenses were free from dust.

Does anybody have this sort of problem or past experience?

Probaly the sensors got dirty?

Thx in advance...while i wait for a reply in anticipation.<div>00Bhsg-22654284.thumb.JPG.9dbc7eb459cb0d43e1b0d0fd9c36ee17.JPG</div>

Hi GSteve, Most DSLR shots require at least some post-processing. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems that this shot is right out of the camera without having run levels, curves or USM. Also at f/2.8 there's very little DOF; you might want to try some shots stopped down a bit. I ran levels, gave it a little USM and took a 100 percent crop. Best wishes . . .<div>00Bhtn-22654884.jpg.2cf8c16e08242ff5105cc49076f15a85.jpg</div>

This looks normal to me. I always sharpen my 10D photos with unsharp mask rather than using the 10D's sharpening filter.

There's also something else to consider about your photo's appearance after it has been sharpened: a good sharpening job will ALWAYS look oversharpened when viewed on a computer screen. Why? The monitor is only capable of rendering your image at 72dpi, whereas prints are usually made between 200 and 300 dpi. So while it looks "dirty" on the screen it should print wonderfully. But they only way to be sure is to do some test. Good luck! -robert

The sensor dirt...as far as I know doesn't manifest itself in the way of softness...dirt on the sensor...you can see that if you stop down to say f11 or so and shoot into the sky...you'll see the dirt...do at your risk...if you haven't seen the dirt...you're better off not knowing it's there...you'll start cleaning the sensor...and were talking about another ballgame...my .02 is to try manually focusing on a single flower...and see what that yields...btw...I didn't know the 24-70l was a macro...if you're trying to use it as a macro...you might be just shooting beyond its minimal focal distance which you can find in your manual or on line...Good luck...hope this helps

"monitor is only capable of rendering your image at 72dpi"

This is incorrect. Monitors do not have a set resolution - it can be adjusted in software. They have a *native* resolution (particularly important on LCDs) which is where one pixel of data equals one pixel of display. All else is interpolated by software. Display devices are measured in pixels per inch, not dots, which is a whole different ballgame.

This is a beautifully colorful shot but I think the focus point is on the front face of the flower pot and not on the flowers, the flowers are soft because they are out of focus. I don't think there's anything at all wrong here other than a focus problem. --Peter

Agreed with Peter Rowe, I don't think you have focused correctly. Did you just

turn the focus ring into the "Macro" range of focus?

The 24-70 should render objects sharp even wide open, certainly by f/8.

And what shutter speed? flowers blowing in the breeze will blur the shot if the

exposure is too long even if you are using a tripod.

Try again and re-post a shot.

It looked fine to me as well. The focus is somewhat forward, and if you had intended all of the flowers to be in focus, then the focus is incorrect. You cannot attain the highest levels of sharpness on this subject the way it is. If your aperture is set at 2.8, depth of field will be too shallow. At F/8, it's still too shallow. At F/16, it's still rather shallow, and diffraction will reduce sharpness, and F/22 will be softer for the same reason. I don't know your lens, but some otherwise fine lenses are less sharp at close focus. Cleaning the sensor will not improve sharpness under normal circumstances. I would advise either assembling the flowers so that they are all at a smilar range of focus, and/or I would advise moving farther away. Or, you could work creatively will the shallow depth of field.