20D with 199A

50d-boy

Just a bit of information. I measured the voltage of my Speedlite 199A and

found that it hovers at 3.99V. This is lower than the 4.99v stated on:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html and is also well below the 6V

maximum.

It's not E-TTL 1 or 2, but the manual settings along with the diffuser produce

some decent results, and the exposure is certainly adjustable. It's old school

but it works. I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance.

Vindication for those of us who took a bath on the switch from the T-series/FD

systems to EOS/EF.

Cheers

John

... so long as it isn't a TTL flash, since there is no in camera metering of flash during exposure. TTL flashes won't even fire - the camera detects TTL operation is required and ignores the flash. Autoflashes (self metering) and manual flashes work fine, as do E-TTL compatible ones.

That's my setup... still in the bath from the switch, but I'm not ready to ditch my FD gear yet. It's gonna be a stretch before I'm ready to invest $350 in a new 'modern' flash! I've had pretty good results with the combo using the 199a for fill in sunlight, but good luck getting good results balancing in low light- same as the old school. I have two 199a units, and I'm itching to get a wireless synch system so I can use them as mini strobes off camera, since the on-camera flash still looks like on-camera flash. Good luck, and I'll be interested to see your results!

I've had excellent results with a 199A on a 300D, a 350D and a 30D. Sometimes I even think that the old thyristor auto flash exposes just as well as the fancy E-TTL II system.

I've got several vintage flashguns, and I've equipped them with optical slave triggers. Since some of the flashes have manual power adjustment, it makes for quite a flexible portable lighting setup.