Visiting Ouray and Durango mid June. Any suggestions??

kristen riley

We will be staying near Durango CO (Vallecito Lake) and Ouray during

our vacation to Colorado. Anyone familiar with these areas? I would

really like to capture some shots of wildflowers--Where would be a

good location for this in mid June? I have seen a few posts saying

that mid June is a little early for wildflower photography. We are

stuck with this date so I will be doing the best I can with it. Any

suggestions on photographing this area would be appreciated.

Kristen:

<p>

I would guess mid-June is too early for flowers to be in full bloom up in the high country like Yankee Boy Basin (above Ouray by jeep). Ask when you get to Ouray.

<p>

As a general suggestion, drive the San Juan Skyway for great landscapes and possibly some flowers in the lower elevations.

<p>

Go north on U.S. 550 to Silverton and Ouray. Some great spots along this stretch. From Ouray go north to Ridgway and then west on CO 62. Six miles west of Ridgway is a classic view of a ranch and the Sneffels Range that a lot of famous photographers have used. Cathleeen Norris cook was there the last time I was there, and John Fielder was there the next day. More info here:

<p>

http://jimdoty.com/Nature/Colorado/Sneffels_Range/Mt_Sneffels/mt_sneffels.html

<p>

A little farther west and just before the divide is another classic view with a ranch fence in the foreground with Sneffels in the background. Do a Google search for Sneffels and you will see some photos of this fence.

<p>

Stay on Co 62 and then take the spur to Telluride which hasn't been totally spoiled by tourism yet.

<p>

Take Co 62 on south over Lizard Head Pass. More good views. At Cortez, head back east to Durango on U.S. 160. I think the ruins at Mesa Verde are well worth a side trip. Other than Mesa Verde, the trip back to Durango doesn't hold as much photographic interest for me. The best part of the Skyway is from Durango to Ridgway to Lizard Head Pass.

<p>

If you have an extra day, the narrow gauge train trip from Durango to Silverton is worth while.

<p>

If you are in Ouray in the evening, go see Kathleen Norris Cook's digital movie at the theatre, or buy it (SPIRIT OF THE SAN JUANS) on DVD in town

<p>

Happy Shooting!

<p>

Jim

Kristen,

We have had a ton of snow this year so you might find the water lover flowers, Marsh Marigolds, Oxeye Daisys and Mules Ears. They bloom early. There is a hiking trail on the north side of Vallecito Lake which goes to Columbine Pass and four fourteeners, I'm thinking seven miles but I may be off and once again there could be much snow, making trail finding difficult.

La Plata Basin, west of Durango about fourteen miles goes to the top of the pass with some spectacular views. It is four wheel drive only about ten/twelve miles up the road. There are a couple nice waterfalls up that road.

Easiest access to big peaks photography might be Molas Pass with Molas Lake in the foreground.

Silverton has many 4WD roads, one goes over Cinnamon Pass into Lake City with three fourteeners.

Have fun,

Be sure to photograph the creek that runs into Lake Vallecito and take the hikes from the trailheads near the parking area at Lake Vallecito. This is one of the best creeks to photograph where you can get good lighting on the water and surrounding vegetation. You might get some wildflowers too, but June is pretty early.

Around Ouray, take every dirt road you can find, especially Dallas Creek road and East Dallas creek road off of CO 62. If you like to hike, that the hike to Blue Lakes from the trailhead at the end of East Dallas Creek Road. The views of the Sneffels are great and the wildflowers were fantastic when I last did this in late July or August. The creek along this road is beautiful. Also take the road to Owl Creek Pass and Silver Jack Reservoir just north of Ridgway. Some of the prettiest flowers will be in gardens in Ouray. Go to www.naturephotographers.net and click on Colorado and post the same question. Joe Smith