subho basu

Hi Forum:

I am curious whether anyone uses a Dynatran tripod leg. I don't have enough

money to buy a Bogen or Gitzo. I was looking into various sites and Dynatran

legs have an above avg users rating. These seem to be sturdy and cheaper than

the other brands specially if you buy from Ebay. People are not so happy with

the heads though. But one can always put a Bogen or similar head as I

understand. Advice needed. Thanks, Subho

I had one and let me just say that you get what you pay for. However, if you never get the

chance to use a higher-end tripod, you may never know the difference and be perfectly

happy with the Dynatran. I dumped the Dynatran for a B/M 3021 and then added a Velbon

630A later.

I WON THE DYNATRAN ON EBAY TOTAL COST WAS 38 BUCKS IT'S THE DT858 MODEL SO FAR NO PROBLEM WENT BACKPACKING WITH IT I DO A LOT OF NIGHT STUFF SEEMS TO HOLD UP OKAY FOR ME THE WEIGHT IS A COUPLE POUNDS MORE BUT IT FEELS SOLID I WOULD ALSO LIKE BOGEN OR THE LIKES BUT WITH A HOUSE PAYMENT AND NEW TRUCK PAYMENT I'M HAPPY WITH AMVONA SHIPPING WAS FAST NICE CASE WHICH I DON'T USE BUT TO EACH IS OWN NOT TRYING TO BE SMART HERE P.S THIS SITE HAS BEEN HELPFUL TO ME

CHRIS I DONT MEAN TO GET ON ANYBODY IF IT'S MY SPELLING OF ALL CAPITOL LETTERS SORRY NOT TO GOOD AT THE TYPING OR I'M NOT UPSET THAT I CAN'T AFORD A GOOD TRIPOD AND OTHERS CAN IT'S JUST THAT THE WIFE SAYS NO SO I WENT FOR THE AMVONA WHICH TO ME SEEMS OKAY FOR WHAT I DO SORRY DID'NT MEAN TO UPSET ANY ONE

The Dyantran AT-858 is a very good value leg set. On ebay, it can be gotten for under $30 + $18 shipping, and it's a superb value at that price. It's a very good copy of the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021N leg set, which tends to sell for $120-$180.

I bought two of the Dynatran AT-858 leg sets, and I would recommend them highly. In this case, you actually get alot more than what you pay for. They are basically as good as the Manfrotto 3021, for 1/3 the cost.

I also think that the Dynatran Ball Heads are very good value for light to medium duty use. The ball head that I most recommend for value is the Amvona Dynatran ATH-H93, which tends to sell on ebay for $10-15, plus $10 shipping. IMHO, it's as good as any other ball head in the $40-80 range, is well finished and the controls are easy to use, and it locks up solid. It's got a separate pan control, and a quick release which is compatible with the Calumet small tilt pan head, so you can buy QR plates for $8.50 each at any Calumet store or Calumet Photo's online site. The Calumet part number for the QR plate that fits the Amvona Dynatran ATH-H93 ball head is CK 0003.

IMHO, for under $70 total including shipping, the AT-858 leg set and the ATH-H93 ball head is a truly sensational value, and directly comparable to what you'd pay around $200 as a combo from Manfrotto.

The Amvona Dynatran heads are good, compared to other inexpensive to mid-range ball heads. But nobody will mistake them for a Kirk, Arca-Swiss, or Markins heads that cost $300+. But they DO hold their own with any other < $100, and especially, < $60 ball heads.