How many photos to include on CD/DVD?

samantha_bender

I've started to offer my wedding clients the opportunity to purchase their

images on a CD or DVD. Often, I get asked by my brides if I include only my

proofs on the CD or if it's most of the photos. We have been providing most of

the photos, but it is so much work going back and editing (we crop them and

play with the lighting) the photos that weren't proofs when they actually decide

to purchase the CD - also, if the couple chooses a CD, then they can get 3 or 4

CD's of images because there are so many!

It would be so much easier if we could only provide the proofs on the CD...do

any of you photographers offer only proofs if they purchase the CD?

Thanks.

One thought that will cause a bit of horror in the crowd. Depending on the client

(specifically graphic artists and photographers) I will often provide two separate sets of

discs if they purchase the CD's. </p>My workflow is this - Edit the images used for the

final proof prints, then color balance and convert images to black and white. Depending

on the wedding, I may start with 2000 + images (way too much anyway), and end up with

500 final images that are proofed as 4x6 prints. Most clients only receive those 500

images when the CD is purchased.

However, those who request all of the images can have them. It is their wedding, and they

know the guests better than I do. I have no idea who or what may be important to the

bride and groom. </p>Now the additional images are not color corrected, but they have

them for their records. Honestly speaking, I have only had people who are well versed in

Photoshop want all of the images so I am happy to provide them (warts and all). Besides,

this is a service business, and I not only want my clients happy, but my business depends

on their referrals. My CD / DVD's are not inexpensive, and are comparable to

purchasing my most expensive album. Remember that when you sell your images on CD,

you will <em>not</em> be receiving any additional orders for reprints or enlargements.

Therefore, your pricing should reflect an actual value for the images.</p><a

href="http://www.donhillstudio.com">Don</a>

Sounds like your proofs is a subset of the entire wedding shoot.

If they wish to purchase everything, you don't need to edit/correct the rest, unless they are willing to pay additional to do that.

You also want to cull out the goofs; the shot of your shoe, the inside of your bag, etc. Harder is the decision to cull out the out of focus shots, you might want to keep the "slightly" out of focus if that is the only shot of certain people.

The hazards and benefits from digital. Some photographers shoot thousands of images, so its up to you. I will finish my career with film and usually take no more than 250 images for a 4 hour wedding. You will get a huge varity of numbers on this. I for one am glad I do not have to sit in front of a computer PP images for weddings. I get enough of that when doing Little League. ;-)

If you have some help with you digital Post Processing, I would think 500 images would be more than enough.