Fuji film for Polaroids

The Fuji instant film will fit in Kodak instant cameras. Kodak licensed the format design to Fuji with the condition that they would not sell it in the US. Polaroid could have sued Fuji after they "won" their patent infringement case against Kodak. I suspect that Polarloid and Fuji came to an agreement on this subject.

I still have a Kodamatic camera and I have a couple packs of Kodak instant film in the freezer. When they are gone the only source for film will be Fuji. Do you have a source for the Fuji instant film? I'd like to find one.

I miss that stuff. The Kodak film was conceptually a better system than Polaroid's SX70 system, and had much better results. Polaroid's system required a mirror, because the image was formed on the front of the sheet (same side that faces the lens). Kodak had the rear of the sheet face the lens, and the front formed the image.

<p>

This gave Kodak the ability to have a textured surface. Not so textured as to obliterate the resolution or interfere with the image, but enough so that it wasn't a fingerprint magnet like Polaroids, which had to be optically smooth because it was facing the lens.

<p>

The Trimprint improvement was great too. Once you peeled away the chemical and "negative" part of the photo, you were left with a thin sheet of plastic, something like a Cibachrome, which you could trim with a scissors to fit in an album, wallet, etc.

<p>

Kodak's pictures also had a better aspect ratio than the SX70.

<p>

The biggest difference though was the image quality. Polaroids always looked kinda bad to me, especially outdoor shots. Hard to put into words, they just looked <i>bad</i>. Maybe like what you'd see with outdated or heat-damaged traditional camera film.

<p>

Kodak images, though, looked <i>real</i>. They had vibrant colors, the kind of rendition you'd expect to see on a decent consumer grade snapshot.

<p>

I think that the <i>quality</I> of those images is what gave Polaroid the willies and provoked them to sue Kodak. Polaroid's <i>cameras</I> were <i>much</I> nicer, it was no contest. But when people saw the <i>pictures</I>, it was also no contest -- in the other direction.

• 4 months later...