If not Leica then who?

ken_kartes

Ken, for the price of a new digital P&S, you could pick up a LTM Leica, possibly a IIIf with a Summitar. It's a very nice combination and a nice entry into Leica.

The LTM Leicas are really sweet little cameras, and I think you would be very pleased with the camera and the photos.<div>00Bd5e-22537084.jpg.b25144c360b3270eb2577c94f6b8bbed.jpg</div>

My cheap walk around kit consists of a Canon 7 ($225, ok, funky selenium meter), 35mm f3.5 Summaron ($300) and Canon 50mm f1.8 black ($200). When I want AE functionality (or an on board meter), I swap the Canon 7 for a Minolta CLE ($525). For me, the superior materials and build quality of the older gear is preferable to the modern conveniences of the CV products. I use CV only for occasional use stuff---ultra wide angle lenses 15mm and 21mm.

What I mean is cost wise. I want a rangefinder because they are quiet and compact. I want one that is of good quality. I want one that meters. I have a Nikon 35mm slr system now, but it can be noisy and intrusive. I don't mind an older rangefinder either, but metering is important to me. Thanks for inputs so far. I do also have a Canon QL17 which is great for what it is, if I could expand on that the next rangefinder would have interchangable lenses with metering. Does the IIIf meter? BTW Peter you have a nice camera collection.

There is a guy in the USA who deals in used Leica. I do not know if

sells out of the country or not. I have been dealing with him for

years and I vouch for his honesty. His prices are very resonable.

Maybe he can give you a good deal on a Leica. His name and Ph# are

Jim Kuehl, 515-225-0110 Gus.

I've always been happy with the somewhat maligned Hexar RF. It has a somewhat whiny film advance motor that belies the quiet of the electronic shutter, but I don't feel that is particularly offensive (others do).

The Bessas are good cameras (but a Leica replacement they are not). The Bessa R2's are going for reasonable prices on the used market. And if you are willing to work with an external VF for framing, the Bessa T is a handy little camera and cheap as dirt these days.

The Minolta CLE has a very loyal following.

I was looking at the Bessa with the Nikon mount on adorama. Also, put a couple of bids on a Yashica on Ebay. I would like to get something cheap and used, that could give me a feel for the functions of a Leica. Focusing and the like. Anything out there sub $500 that I could mount my Nikon lense too?

I was at the WPPI trade show and spoke with Hasselblad about their distributing the Zeiss Ikon camera and it sounds interesting. It is a brand new camera not an upgraded Bessa.

What sounds good is it has a longer rangefinder base, and life size viewfinder that they claim is 1/3 f stop brighter than any previous rangefinder. For my old bad eyesight this is major not minor improvement. They say the body will be only $1600. Oh, I forgot it has an easier film loading system. I'm afraid this is bad news for Leica but good news for us. The 85mm lens is going to be manufactured in Germany.

Ken, as the other member suggested, get a used Leica. I think there's a lot of good deals out there in the used Leica market. A few weeks back a local camera shop where I bought my CL sold a minty M3 for $999 Canadian. That's about $800 USD. If not Leica, perhaps wait for the Zeiss Icon? The Hexar RF seems to be a good camera but it's noisy. I just bought my wife a Contax G2 for $1200 Canadian---that's a really nice camera. It's a bit complicated for me, though. It took me 3X as long to figure it out than my used professional black Leica CL. (The G2 is not a M-Mount.)

The closest I seem to have seen is the Canon 7, I like the QL17 I have now. The only thing that it lacks is the ability to change lenses. I have done some checking on the Canon 7 since posting my question and like it so far, also the bessas' look interesting but are a bit pricey for what I want to spend. Any inputs from you Leica fans on the Canon 7 would be great. I appreciate all expertice given so far!

I would consider a Bessa (I have an L) ... I even like some of the Russian stuff ... I have not tried a Canon 7 yet but it's on my list... any non metered camera can have a VC shoe mount meter added ... CLs and CLEs are nice and have a meter ...

OH ... and the Hexar RF ... the switch on the top turn it to C not S

You want really quiet ... Black Hexar AF in stealth mode

Ken, did you look at the Bessa R (different from the R2, R2a, or R3a)? It is a screwmount body, but is much less expensive than the M mount bodies. As mentioned above you can buy it now with a 35/2.5 lens for just over $400, which is truly a steal. Added to the fact that it has a meter, easy film loading, very bright viewfinder, and you can use most of the new Cosina/Voigtlander lenses as well as a great selection of screwmount Leica lenses (and Canon, Nikon...), makes this a cheap, versatile body that is a great first choice.

<p><em>I want a rangefinder because they are quiet and compact. I

want one that is of good quality. I want one that

meters.</em></p><p>The Canon 7 is big and heavy, the finder may well

have developed flare, the build quality isn't that great, the meter is

likely to have aged and is a bit fiddly to use, and it doesn't have an

accessory shoe.</p><p>The rarity of the accessory shoe is somewhat

exaggerated, but Canon 7 plus (or perhaps even without) accessory shoe

will cost you more than a Bessa. I don't want to knock the 7 (I have and

use a 7sZ), but you'd better be realistic about it.</p>