Kiss Contax Goodbye?

k_michael

If I'm not mistaken, Kyocera announced last month that they would be stopping production of all the Contax brand, and stop selling it by the end of 2005. I read a press release from them on Kyocera's website, but I don't have the link in front of me right now...

Yes, old news I'm afraid. For what it's worth, Zeiss still owns the brand...Kyocera only licenced the name.

You can never say that a brand has disappeared forever though...I suppose people would have considered that Zeiss Ikon cameras were never going to appear again and...surprise!...there is a new Ziess Ikon rangefinder,

The magnificent Contax cameras as we know them (RX,Aria,S2 etc) are no longer being produced and neither are the C/Y mount lenses for these machines. Tocad America will handel distribution and repair for Cameras introduced after 1989, support will continue for ten years. These are wonderful cameras and I expect them to last a good long time. So while they are no longer being produced, they are still very much alive as far as I'm concerned.

I'll echo Vincent's comments.Apart from my C645 I also own and use, an S2b and a Contax 1 which I've had 47 years. It is still going strong.

Just because a manufacturer ceases doesn't mean that the cameras become non-working display models!

When Studebaker and Packard stopped making cars, the ones on the road didn't suddenly stop in their tracks.

Unlike the S and P cars though, I believe another company will produce cameras under the Contax name