Users recommend?d memory card or compact flash for EOS 1DS mk2 ?

andrewmoore

i use the sandisk extreme III cards with my 1dmk2 and i think they are great. it just won

the "technical image press association" award for best media storage product, and i

believe rob galbraith rated them with the fastest write speed for the canon 1dmk2.

also, i don't believe that canon uses the lexar wa technology so using the 80x lexar cards

may not give you the benefit that nikon and other users would get.

If you're shooting raw files, you might want to get CF cards at least 2GB each since they fill up *really* quickly. The camera buffer is quite big so the actual card write speed doesn't matter so much.

Getting a big SD card would let you switch over when the CF card is full without having to open the camera and dig out another card at an awkward moment.

There are card failure issues being reported with the 1DSII at present, see the Rob Galbraith 1D and 1DS forums.

Most frequent failure seems to be with the Lexar 80x cards with entire cards corrupting, but Scandisk failures have occured as well.

I should try one of each as an insurance to see what works with your particular body

Mike Smith

"Best" isn't necessarily equal to "fastest" in this case, since the Lexar 80x seems to be the

most common drive used by 1DsII owners reporting problems. (The Rob Galbraith thread

linked above is worth reading through to the end.)

I use Sandisk 2GBs and Hitachi 4GBmd's and have had no problems SINCE updating to

firmware 1.1.1 (which was issued to address the over-1GB problems).

Although it's a ridiculous limitation on an $8000 camera, refraining from chimping while

writing to file seems to be the surest way to prevent problems -- although one

accomplished gymnastics photographer says his failure (2GB) occurred with no chimping

at all.

Awesome camera, but -- even though the corruption problem seems to affect a very small

number of users -- Canon will start to lose photographers' confidence if they don't

address the problem very quickly.

Two clarification to my post just above:

The Rob Galbraith link I was referring to as "must reading" was in Mike Smith's "5:46am"

post, not the robgalbraith tests Mark U linked at the top of this thread.

Also, no one's expecting to refrain from chimping while writing to file over the long

term(!); that would make the camera relatively useless. Not chimping during write-to-file

is just be a safety measure until Canon issues a firmware update newer than 1.1.1.

Because I've had no corruption problems, I happily chimp away.

OK cool, So i think ill go for the extreme 3 4gb, and a 2gb SD, backup.

Thanks for all your help ! And also thw warnings on the crash?s it seems like there is always gona be software problems with things. Well thats why im gona keep my EOS 3 as my reliable backup.

You guys are the best, this is the greatest website iv ever seen, such a wonderful community. I hope you will enjoy photos from my 1Ds when i get it.

Thanks again, and good luck with your photos too ! :)

Andrew.