storage of folder cameras

ralf_j.

On the other hand, bending soft materials always means stressing them. So keeping the folders folded means a lot of stress to the bellows folds. I usually keep them unfolded. UV light should not be a big concern - at least for me, I keep my cameras in a glass-door closet in the back of a room, away from the windows.

I suppose it also depends on one�s attitude to this collecting game. Or more accurately are you a collector or a hoarder? Presumably if you collect for the beauty of these old cameras you�ll want to look at them often yourself and show them off to your friends. They don�t make much of a display folded up and packed in a box do they? On the other hand if you just want to squirrel them away they are probably in the long run safer folded, packed and stored in humidity controlled environment.

Roger

I constantly use my cameras, whether they are TLR's or folders. I do collect them, but the primary use is getting exposed negatives out of them :-).

I just got an kodak with destroyed bellows and am finding out how hard it is to replace them :-(.

Comes down to "Is it a camera for use, or a camera for display?" If for use, fix it up and shoot with it. If for display, show it open on its legs.

I have both kinds of antique cameras, a Kodak #1 folder with a dented body that looks good on the shelf, a Ciro-flex awaiting repair, and an Argus C-3 that I use weekly. The Argus would look great on the shelf, but looks better in my gear bag.

<Chas>

Heck. now I'm really confused...both points of view sound so CONVINCING.

I think I'll store half mine open and half of them closed. Or all of them half open. No...nevermind.

On a more serious note, my 6.5x9 Patent Etui has a hole in the bellows, surrounded by green gunk, from where the viewfinder was jammed into it for decades. It was stored closed, and it was designed to be so compact that everything jams into everything else.

The hole may have been from friction related to repeated opening and closing, though.

M

• 8 months later...