vivitar lenses ?

sasho1

I have the 500mm mirror. It really does not deliver very good results. Not very sharp. It IS cheap, however, and you might have fun playing around with it. I own 2 alternatives for a long telephoto - an old Spiratone 400mm and a Tamron 70-300mm with a matched 1.4x converter. Either one gives sharper results than the Vivitar.

If you really need 500mm, there are plenty of used 500m f8 preset teles out there. These are much better than the budget 500mm mirror optics. Do beware of slow shutter speeds (mirror vibration) with long teles, though. Support appropriately and use mirror lockup (if available) for tripod-mounted exposures below 1/125 sec.

cheers,

Mike

With 500mm lens you must use 1/500 sec shutter speed hand-held to avoid camera shake. Therefore a tripod is essential. Your lens needs a tripod collar so you can mount the lens at its center of gravity. This is the only way to get sharp shots with such a long lens.

New Vivitar lens are not half of what they used to be. The old 1970s Vivitar Series 1 (e.g. 600/8 and 800/11 solid CAT) mirror are good lens. I have an old Vivitar 800/f11, while you can't compare them to Canon's white super tele, they do product very use-able results. I agree with others on avoiding the new Vivitar 500/8 mirror.

I own a Vivitar 500 f8 mirror. Cannot compare to other mirror 500 since have no experience with other brands. I needed a cheap and light telephoto that I could take along.

It is sharp enough and will give good line detail, but it is very difficult to focus well, contrast is *very* low, and out of focus shapes are different from refraction lenses. The worst thing for me is the fixed f8 aperture, it kills depth of field. But this is a feature of all mirror lenses I know, fixed focus. Also, it does not focus to infinity at the top of movement - you actually have to focus subjects very far away...

The lens is cheap and light, suitable for bird photography for instance if the birds cooperate, if you have a lot of patience with focusing and if you need light weight. I have also used it succesfully for sunsets and special effects with the ring shapes in the highlights out of focus.

It was the only way I could have bought a very long telephoto so I do not complain.

I would recommend that you go to a photo store, mount one in your camera body and fire a 12 shot roll from the store's door to determine if you like the results. Do not buy it blind, it may or may not be what you want.

Julio, my experience with a 500/8 Samyang mirror was very much like yours... low contrast, extremely shallow depth of field and tricky focusing resulting from both. It was a combination that can make the results come out worse than the lens might be capable of with very accurate focusing. After I did a side-by-side comparison between the mirror and my 400/6.3 Spiratone preset (shooting wide open with the 400), though, I was really surprised at how much sharper the 400 was. It was enough to make me sell the mirror and resign myself to carrying a longer package when I need that kind of focal length.

The preset, T-mount glass telephotos in this class are no more expensive than the bottom-end mirrors; a 500/8 can be bought new today for $100-125, probably less in some places, and used ones are less than half that.

:)=