Madish Project, IIIG new RF mirror and other interesting stuff

The RF beamsplitter ahs seen better days in my IIIG, so it's time for

a new one. This is not a complete step by step guide, but you will

get the drift. As always please wait 'till I have done all the posts.

First pull the sleeve, this makes geting the top off a little easier

and saves the vulcanite somewhat.

Off comes the self timer, it's all screws, easy.<div>00C297-23215284.jpg.401a4fb8253525cef184a33e60ec46b0.jpg</div>

Remove shuter dial (three grub screws), inner shutter dial (three more grub screws, shutter release collar (just unscrews), wind knob (grub screw the unscrews CCW) and rewind knob (one grub screw). One screw under wind knob and these two inside at the rewind end.<div>00C29R-23216284.jpg.8542a60e2bf6c862cb7a6dd46e5c44f1.jpg</div>

Not too bad, nip up the countersunk screw, and with a lens at infinity (pop the mount back on for this) swing the new mirror until it is about right for infinity, then tighten the two counterbored screws. Of course everything moves when you tighten them up, it all comes together after a few tries!

I have worked out what Huw is up to.

These step by step projects encourage others to embark on the same with their own IIIG. Result... many broken IIIG Leicas.

Now Huw's own working example is worth even more because the total population of good IIIG's (already quite rare) has gone down.

Not at all a madish project, if one gets their feet wet so to speak with an older III or IIIc and then moves on to a IIIg. The main alignment I'd be concerned with it maintain the proper register of the lens flange. So, where did find the replacement beam splitter? How crusty did the mirrored prism look upon inspection of the other end VF/RF assembly?
Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

Trevor,

It's all part of my junk collection, 'Oh that might come in useful' my wife hates me to stop at a skip (dumpster US). I once found a 4 foot length of 6 inch soil pipe I needed on the way TO a restaraunt, it came with us, (it was clean).

Every mad projecteer needs a junk box.

I sure miss the days when there was a Junk Box or two at the local camera shop. Some places had it under the counter, others kept it in plain sight. A treasure trove of used adapter rings, lens hoods, synch cords for obsolete flash units and camera fittings, and oddball filters.

I am with you on that Al, most is now on ebay by the look of it. We had two, one independant and one franchised, photoshops in the town I live, they both had a junk box. Now there is one Jessops (this one is OK but some are awful), I know the manager, I will ask him to start one.