Which canon, T90 or F1n

low light

Hello! I would like to know which camera would be a better buy? I am

a nikon owner and already have several cameras, F3hp, F100 etc.. I

am not looking to replace my existing cameras but i have always been

interested in high-quality MF cameras. I am not familiar with canon

equipment so any advice would be appreciated, i'm looking for pros

and cons of T90 and F1n. Also are Canon FD lenses as good as my

nikkors? They are so cheap to buy second-hand...

T90 :

pros : - 1/4000th max shutter speed

- 1/250th flash synch

- great metering (mulit-spot, etc...)

- great flash system (300TL) with rear curtain synch

- Bulb mode uses no battery power

- interchangeable focusing screen

- good hand grip

- uses AA batteries

- integrated fast (4.5 fps) motordrive

cons : - noisy

- prism not interchangeable

- might have the dreaded EEE-HELP error(shutter mechanism stuck)

F1n :

pros : - interchangeable prism

- probably more rugged than T90

- mechanical speeds from 1/90 to 1/2000 + B

- speed finder available

cons : - you need different focusing screens to have access to different metering modes (selective, spot, center-weighted)

- separate motor drive

- flash synch at only 1/90

About FD lenses, I don't know if they're as good as Nikkors, but they have provided me with some really good pictures.

If you look at magazine lens tests of the past you may find minor performance differences between some Canon FD lenses and their Nikkor equivalents, but the advantage could go to either Nikon or Canon in a specific comparison of two lenses.

As a general rule Canon FD lenses are excellent, as are Nikkors. Both brands were widely used by professional photographers around the world, although Nikon long had a numerical edge in this department (nowadays Nikon's lead with pros has probably been erased by Canon's EOS film and digital cameras). The poorest performers in the Canon FD line might be a few of the cheaper "consumer grade" zoom lenses.

The two camera should not be compared as they are so totally different. One is a system based camera (the F-1 of which there are three models the F-1 with a metal winding lever the F-1n with a plastic tip on the winder and selftimer lever on the front, and the NEW F-1 or F-1N with no timer lever and a accessory shoe on the prism)

It would be a good idea if you wne to

The Canon Museum:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/

The FD Document site:

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

The Photo in Malaysia site:

T-90

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/index.htm

F-1 /F-1n

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/index.htm

F-1N or New F-1

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/index.htm

And did a bunch of reading, Anyone here will not have enough info about what you what the camera for to make any real suggestion that would be of value as their comments will most likely be based on a bias based on their personal likels and dislikes.

I love my T-90. Other than not having autofocus and a digital sensor it is as technically advanced as the best cameras today. It's design paved the road for the entire Canon EOS line.

Unfortunately when 35mm film finally fades away to a niche market MOST of the FD lens line will be left useless, other than as collector items. The very best used FD 'L' glass is still as expensive as the best used AIS ED glass. As a matter of fact the best Nikon glass is less expensive since you can find much more optically good glass inside beat up housings, due to all the professional use Nikon glass had in the 70's, 80's, and even 90's. Generally speaking most of the best Canon FD 'L' glass is still in superb condition, having been used by hobbyists. Although the long fast Nikon glass is more expensive at least you can mount them with an adapter on EOS DSLRs in the future and get metering. The Canon adapter that allows use of the cheaper long fast Canon Fd lenses costs a small fortune. I have a beat up Canon FD 400mm f2.8 L with the Canon 1.26x FD to EOS adapter and could have bought a beat up Nikon 400/2.8 for the same combined cost. The adapter will only start to pay for itself if I go out and buy one or two more long lenses which is unlikely.

I am preparing to go digital so I now have a Nikon 14mm f2.8 D ED, Nikon 20mm f3.5 UD, and Nikon 50mm f1.4 AIS with a $30 adapter which allows me to use them on my wife's EOS film camera until I get an EOS DSLR.

I will only consider investing in high quality FD glass if the values hit rock bottom before all the slow film in my freezer is gone. Currently I focus my attention to Canon EF lenses and any Nikon lens.

If you want to collect the camera that started a design trend then an absolutely mint T-90 is the way to go, but if you want to enjoy and use your equipment I would stick with Nikon or consider the huge change to Canon EF. Good luck!

Johm there is currently approx 128 different 35mm films available on the market. What makes you think that 35mm film will be disappearing will the manufactures decide not to make the huge profits they do off film.

Sure digital out sells film but film cameras have one heck of a head start and since a 50 year old 35mm rangefinder can still take photo's the owners do have to be buying a new camera to enjoy photography. Who do you think is buying all those used cameras selling on all those ebay sites around the world? Fuji just released new slide film Rollei just marketed a whole new type of B&W film. even if digital cuts into film sales by 75% it will still be selling more now then it did in the 1970's and no one thought film was going to disappear in 1970 did they?

I loved my old T-90, but after having the dreaded error come up more then a few times, even after a new shutter was put into it- I'd be very wary about buying a used one these days. So with that I'd probably go the F1n next time. Keep in mind most T-90 parts have already been used up because of its problems. I haven't heard near as many issues with the F cameras.

As I said niche markets in 35mm film will be around for who knows how long, however:

Kodachrome 25 - gone

Ektar/Royal Gold 25 - gone

Kodak B&W 25 - gone

Agfa B&W 25 - pretty sure it's gone

Agfa Ultra 50 - gone

Konica Impressa 50 - gone

Velvia 50 - apparently on the way out

Royal Gold 100 - gone

The only one rumoured to be replaced with a decent film, and can we really believe rumours, is Velvia 50. There are those that believe advancements in film have surpassed slow films with faster ones. I think that is a lot of poppy cock. For me the writing is on the wall. I will still be able to tinker with my 4x5 and get very good quality out of 100 to 200 asa films but my 35mm film days will pretty much come to an end in 3-5 years when my freezer is bare. I can't afford not to be practical.

I guess the best working T-90 to get is one like mine that has not sat longer than a month without use in 19 years. Never the EEE problem. Look for the flat black finish across the front of the base to be worn off where the pinky finger nail ends up residing.

I pick F-1n over T90.

T90 is great till it gets the predictable EEE's.

I've owned 7 F-1, F-1n and F-1N and never had a problem. Not once.

Whereas is quite easy to find T90 failures posted here there and every where on the net. I had the chance to buy 2 brand new in the box T90s for $275 a pop last year. I told the owner I had no interest in them because of the fact that lock up with out use. He thought I was wrong and tried them both out. Both were locked up and useless with out the expense to cla and a fix for the shutter magnets. He was very angry that his new in the box treasures turned to trash because they remained mint in the box.

You can get quality and minty F-1n or F-1N if you shop around. F-1 and F-1n and F-1N don't break from lack of use.

I agree with Mark W, with 138 different 35mm films available, film isn't dead.

The F-1 system was a well developed line and it will serve you well with many assessories available. My favorite: Speedfinder will keep me shooting Canon F-1 till film disappears.

John, I am waiting for quality FD glass to drop in price to the rock bottom. I wonder when I will get to buy up big white L's for a couple hundred a pop?

Good Luck!

I own the T90 (2 bodies) and the F1N (new F1 2 bodies) and the older F1n. The T90 is the body to use if you want to use lots of flash photography. This is especially true for the 300TL flash. I use the T90 mostly because of the 300TL flash. It has many metering patterns and options built-in, but it weighs a lot. The F1N is elegant. It is classy. It is robust. Both are wonderful cameras to own and use.

I own both, and they are both great cameras, but I can not answer your question without knowing what you want to use the camera for. The T90s one big advantage is its ability to use A-TTL with a TTL flash. I feel that the F1 is much more dependable and rugged if you get out in the woods with it. So, my question is, do you shoot in a studio or in the field?

Hi Anthony,

I recently picked-up two used T-90's for a very low price. having used this camera for a few years after it came out, I'm rather fond of it. A recent call to Canon confirmed my nightmare, There are VERY few if any parts avalible for the T-90. A couple of friends have sick T-90's with no fix. If you can get one cheap ( 100.00-150.00 )with a camera store warranty, concider it a short term joy to use.

Happy shooting,

Jeff

I own two Canon F1n's and one Canon T90. Eventually I will own 2 T90's, when I find another good one.

Since I have the T90, I haven't used the F1's any more.

A T90 has 1/250 sync, TTL metering, 30 - 1/4000 sec, 4.5 frames per second. I find the T90 an absolute delight to use. Once you've used the multiple spot metering, you're addicted. What I also like about the T90 is that everything that can be automated, is automated. My 13 year old son shoots with the T90 and brings home very good shots.

You read a lot about the T90 EEE - HELP syndrome on the internet, but I just took my chances. I use my T90 every day, and I read on the net that that helps against EEE syndrome.

The T90 is a plastic camera, however, and I don't like that. It feels cheap. (At least the outside feels like cheap plastic)

My F1's have the AE vieuwfinder, and a winder, which I consider absolutely essential.

An F1 radiates professionalism. It's a very beautiful camera. My first F1 took well over 150.000 shots without the slightest trouble: That's called professional. You feel quality when you use it. What I love about it is that the F1 is so modular.

The photo's I made with the F1's are just as beautiful as those I made with the T90.

If you're for absolute ruggedness & classic style, opt for a F1.

If you're for intuitive computer - control, opt for a T90.

I wouldn't get an F1 without the winder (2 images/sec). Making a few shots in rapid succession often makes a difference.

The F1 motor drive (4.5 images per sec.) is bulky and heavy. If you really need 4.5 images per sec, I'd suggest a T90.

Thanks for all your replies, i think i'll look for an F1n as i'm looking for a reliable camera that can take a few knocks (I tend to be quite tough on my equipment!) I very rarely use flash so i don't really need the TTL capabilites of the T90. I'll probably look for the 50mm F1.2 as well, it looks fantastic! Is there any difference between the "L" version and the standard one?

Anthony-- there's a wealth of information on the net to answer this question. Do a Google search on lens tests by people named Reese and Puts, or visit the Malaysian Canon FD pages. On the used market, the L (or aspherical) versions sell for three to six times the price of the regular 50/1.2, so you need to decide whether the difference in performance is worth the extra $250 - 500.

Also, make sure you know the difference between an F-1n and an F-1N, so you end up getting the one you want.

<p>I've had a few T90's and NewF1's both. Never had problems with the EEE though all in all, I think the NewF1 edges out the T90 by a slight lead. </p>

<p>I absolutely love the NewF1. The metering scale in the finder is great - shows you everything, all through clever use of optics. You see the low limit mark of the mounted lens (red bar down at 1.4, 2.8, whatever), the whole f-stop range in one straight line, the current shutter speed, the current f-stop setting. </p>

<p>For slides, I load up the spot metering screen, point it at my darkest detail, take a quick glance at the metering scale and dial it 2 stops up from the dark point. Works like a champ.</p>

<p>Plus the NewF1 is just a nice, solid body with so many interchangeable parts. And if the battery goes, just pop it out and run the shutter manually (1/90th low end).</p>

<p>I love them both, but if you like the pro MF Nikon line you might be happiest with the NewF1 over the T90.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have both F-1 and T-90

The F1 is tougher the T-90 takes better pictures.

When you see the shot , the T-90 can get the shot now.

The F1 will also get the shot but if you dont have the proper focus screen you wont get the best metering.

The best use for digital cameras is as a light meter to setup your film shots. LIke the polaroid backs.

I will admit lately the capabilty to do HDR with digital can produce images which are as good or better than Film. (for still life and landscape)

When I want a shot that I really love it will likely be with a T-90

The best comprable camera is the often underated EOS 3 which has all the t-90 features plus autofocus.

• 3 months later...
I aplogozie in advance if this is the wrong place to inquire about this. I am trying to find a Canon T-90 (in good condition, of course) for purchase. Does anyone on here know of one, or perhaps have a place where they can direct me to? Thank you, and again, my apologies if this is not the correct place to post this at.

Pat,

Please email me at richard.snyder@gmail.com I have a very, very nice T90 with original box and manual plus a Canon 300TL with original manual. I am trying to decide if I want to keep it. I use it about once a month to shoot a roll of film and it has worked beautifully. But I have three other film cameras plus two digital bodies!

You can check my references here on photo.net under Richard Snyder.

Dick