Ring Flashes! canon vs sigma

nello

Hello! I've browsed through the archives and didn't see the answer so...

I am considering between these two ring flashes (canon vs sigma) to use as

a wireless master in a studio set-up. As I understand it, the Canon splits the

ring into seperate groups (A and B) automatically. Thus, use of ratio control in

the Canon automatically splits the ring flash into seperate groups.

However, I saw on the B&H site that the Sigma has four channels.

Does anyone know how ratio control in the Sigma compares to the Canon?

Ultimately, I'm tryin to create a set up where the entire ring flash is group A,

and my 550/420ex slaves are group B. I don't want my ring flash split into

seperate groups -and yet, I want to do wireless ratios. Anyone know if this is

possible?

Thanks in advance

On the MR-14EX (and I believe the MT-24EX behaves identically with its two flash heads) the two parts of the ring are automatically in groups A and B and this cannot be changed. Slave flashes can be placed in Group C, or added to Group A or Group B provided CF-5-1 is set. The method of control of relative illumination for Group C is a little different - just like using Group C with a 550EX or 580EX - but works perfectly well and does exactly what is normally needed. Note that full A/B/C control is not available with all Type A bodies, only with recent/up-market ones.

I cannot comment on the Sigma flash, but I can tell you that the MR-14EX is an excellent piece of kit and allows lighting to be set up very flexibly.

Don't confuse channels with flash groups. Channels are like radio channels, so several cameras can be operated in close proximity without one flash triggering another camera's slaves provided they are set to use different channels. I've not seen a user review of the Sigma unit in its wireless configuration.

FYI- I just converted over to Canon from Nikon. I have the Nikon ring flash (can't

remember the model - it is the latest one). I have been using it with my 1Ds Mark II. It

works great. It has 2 "channels" and a modeling light. It has always been a great flash.

You must use it manually - full or 1/4 power. If you found one used it might be a good

choice but new I would go with the Canon or Sigma.