D70 lens compatibility question, Kalimar 35-70mm macro

Great I figured it would, but I don't want to damage the camera when I get it. But I'm a little confused when you say focal lenghth stays the same but the angle of view changes by 1.5. Are you saying that if I'm shooting with the lens at 70mm, what I'll see through the viewfinder is 105mm, but the camera will still record the info like its a 70mm. Is this right?

Yes, it would appear as if you are using a longer focal length lens.

The camera will NOT record any information from the lens (I am assuming this is a manual focus lens with no CPU in it) other than the image.

The electronic range finder in the camera will still indicate when you get a positive focus. This will be indicated by a green dot at the bottom left of the view finder.

Well, how are you supposed to compose your image if what you see is not what you get. Is this not like shooting with a disposable camera, where there is no mirror system,or is there a way of 'kind of' knowing what your going to get? Thanks, this is very helpful.

Neil - You'll still be photographing what you see in the viewfinder (D70 finder is approx 95 %). The difference will be that the 1.5x crop factor will mean that when set at 35mm, your lens will offer the perspective of a 52mm lens. You do not get increased magnification; you just get an effective 'crop.'

Similarly, a 50mm lens offers the view that a 75mm lens would offer on a film slr.

In both cases, what you see in the viewfinder *will be* what you photograph when you fire the shutter.

Hope this helps.

The Nikon lower-priced DSLR's require CPU contacts in order to meter. The "professional" model Nikons, such as the D1X and D2H, will meter with AI and AIS lenses.

The fact is that achieving proper exposure with a DSLR without TTL metering is a slight inconvenience, but less of a hardship than most people initially believe. You could get an inexpensive hand-held or clip-on meter, or you can take a preliminary "estimated" exposure, check the histogram, and then adjust accordingly. In most photographic situations, particularly those involving stationary subjects, this is not a problem at all, really.

As for focal length, to repeat: the 35-70mm. will appear/perform as the 35mm. *equivalent* of roughly 52-105mm. This is because the sensor for the digital camera is essentially equivalent to a smaller sized film than 35mm., so the same focal length lens produces a somewhat magnified image.