D100 , D70s Or D50

solaby

We had a <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00C0yr">

similar thread on the D100, D70 and D70s</A> recently. The D50 is not available until June or so. I expect it to be a cheap body in every sense of that word; I would get a D50 only if you really want to save money. If you are used to the F100, you'll likely find the D70/D70s to be a low-end body in comparison and the D50 is even lower.

<P>

If you still can find a D70 (not D70s) with kit lens, IMO that is the best deal while it lasts.

Samer, there are several dimensions to your decision, how you will use the camera, what size/weight you prefer, what factors are important to you (performance, handling, viewfinder, etc.). Then there is the question about how much you want to spend and how/when you would like to upgrade. </P>

Here are my 2 cents summed up: </P>

<li> D100: old technology, better viewfinder than the D70 but apart from that the D70 is a better camera in most essential aspects. I would stay away from it at this point </li>

<li> D50: the only reason to go with this camera is if you need/want the smaller package. I?ve shot for a week with the Canon Digital Rebel XT, and personally I find it really easy to bring along, which is a joy, but the handling per se is awkward and not suitable for me personally. Additionally, it uses SD cards, I prefer CF technology. </li>

<li> D70/s: which brings us to the choice of waiting for the ?latest? or buy a new or used D70. First of all, the viewfinder of that camera will feel claustrophobic compared to your F100. Once you get over that initial chock, you fine to go. If you are in a rush to start today, just buy the D70 and be happy. If money is not an object and you are in no rush, wait 2-3 weeks for the D70s. If you, like me, feel that what you really want is a next generation D100, which won?t be out for another 9-12 months at best, then perhaps buy a mint used D70 for around $650 (US prices, I see you are in Dubai). </li>

Oh well, gotta work. Best of luck with your decision.

If you're happy with your F100 you'll find the D100 and D70/D70s satisfactory. The bodies aren't quite as solid as the F100 (they're closer to the N80 in overall feel), but they're very good.

The D50 is an unknown right now. So far, none of the "official previews" has dared to offer an honest appraisal - apparently, in order to stay on good terms with Nikon the websites that have been permitted a sneak peek at the D50 are essentially repeating the Nikon press releases.

The D50 probably couldn't be any worse than Canon's cheapest dSLR, the Rebel XT. Bob Atkins charitably described it as feeling "less 'sturdy' than the EOS 20D." Having handled the Rebel XT in a local store I'd have to describe it as "a piece of crap". And I am definitely NOT anti-Canon. I enjoyed using my Canon FD equipment for many years and unlike some folks I didn't feel the least bit betrayed when Canon made the sensible decision to change lens mounts in order to pave the way for the EOS system. But, honestly, every Canon P&S digicam I've handled felt much better made than the Rebel XT.

Let's hope the D50 doesn't stoop quite that low in a desperate pursuit of luring folks into buying a dSLR - regardless of compromises - instead of a perfectly good CoolPix.

OTOH, if the D50 turns out to be reasonably well made it'll make a great entry level dSLR and I'm betting some of us will secretly grab one as a backup dSLR (tho' we might not admit it).

Hard to say until the D50 comes out. I have a D100 and remember well from some years ago my wife's SLR, the cheapie N60 film camera. But the latter camera handled and had the heft and balance (and viewfinder clarity) of a "real" SLR, despite its lowly product positioning.

So Nikon may surprise us yet with the D50. There's no need to assume that it will replicate the flimsy plasticky feel of the Rebel series

(no insult to Canon intended-they've made many a legendary camera over the last 40 years).

i actually used a DRXT/350D for about a week, no need to overdue the complaint on that camera. it is a powerful little package well capable of producing high quality files, however, one shouldn't mistake these small entry-level DSLRs for joyful professional tools. The are clearly more targeted for people liking to use pre-set menus, worry less about viewfinder size and brightness etc.

i don't suspect the D50 to behave/handle any better/differently than a DRXT/350D, apart from a much better menu-system and access and the new nice 2" LCD.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, Ken Rockwell calls the D50, "90% of the D70 and D70s for a lower price".

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm

If the price step isn't a big one, I'd go for the D70 or D70s if it were me... you might even find some good D70 deals as the D70s hits the shops.

In my case, I've already got the D100, so I'm going to live with that a bit longer and keep telling myself it's the viewfinder that matters. ;-)