My first Pentax

summitar

After being a Canon FL and FD user for decades, I acquired a used

Pentax Spotmatic, 2,300,xxx with 23102 on the back of the baseplate.

The lens is a Super Takumar 50 mm f1.4, 2,301,xxx.

The lens appears to be clear, the camera body is in good shape, and

all shutter speeds appear to be reasonable. The one blemish are spots

that appear to be fungi when I look through the viewfinder. They are

still there when I take the lens off, and I suspect they are on the

bottom of the pentaprism, or whatever the glass surface right above

the mirror is called. I say they appear to be fungi excpt for the

fact that they are not random but appear to to be aligned as radii

from the center microprism. Should I dare some kind of cleaning

action, or just leave them alone as they shouldn't show up on film?

Which battery should I use for the light meter. Are there any things

that I should be extra careful with in using the camera? For you

experienced Spotmatic users out there, how would you rate the

performance of this camera/lens combination. One more thing: can

anyone recommend a lens hood for the above lens. This is my first

look see into the Pentax forum and I look forward with thanks for any

info you will provide.

Never touch these sophisticated made focusing screens of 35mm SLRs. I'm quite sure about the Spotmatic screens not being user exchangeable. Maybe LX / MX screens could be succesfully cleaned in a ultrasonic bath. Leave the spots or hire a trustworthy repairman.

Lenshood: Either 3rd party rubber designed for standard lenses or some rigid, preferably square one. I don't know if this lens is for 49mm filters, if yes, check into the East German stuff.

Performance rating: Doubtlessly good enough. Maybe the very latest top notch Leica gear is proofable better, but that lens was quite a legend at it's time, so it should still do the job today.

The weak point of the camera is changing lenses during "combat", but first: Graping another camera is faster and most important: Carrying another Pentax is no burden! The focusing screen isn't very bright compared to todays competitors, but very crisp and easy to be used with moderate fast glass.

I didn't take metering into consideration, because I grew up with a handheld meter and still need it beyond 35mm.

If you like your Spotmatic there's no reason to replace it. I fyou need a whole lot of electronic crutches to set your exposure go for very latest Canikon.

In Germany there's a black market for Mercury cells. I needn't check into it, because there's some juice left in my ones. Google photo.net for "weincells".

Hi Kerry,

I've recently strayed into Pentax SLR's to relearn all the manual skills I lost when I went too far with point and clicks.

The SPII is a great little camera and will suit you either as a hobby user or somebody looking for a reliable cheap kit for more serious work.

The only dramas i've had with mine is making sure the metering is correct, external metering will fix that, but if you're shooting rapidly there is not enough time to pull it off.

the 1.4/50 is a top notch lens, and the best thing about owning a Screwmount is that you'll easily be able to build up a collection, quickly and cheaply and all the lenses will be first rate.

If you ever need more advice try joining http://www.pdml.net./

Have fun and welcome to the family!

JC

Good for you!

The Spotmatic (my first 35mm in about 1966) is a fine camera and the lens is a fine lens though the one you have is not multi-coated.

Positives: I feel no other manual camera is easier to hold and use. Everything is in the right place. I still have some of them and still use them occasionally. At the same settings it will take a picture as good as most new cameras. There are hundreds of lenses around, both Takumar and aftermarket. Except for rare models (like a motordrive body or 15mm or 1000mm lens), bodies and lenses are very inexpensive. Many lenses use the same 49mm filters. There is absolutely nothing you need to be careful of except that these are old cameras and will fail like any others if not maintained (and one thing about that lens - see below).

These are the weaknesses: The screw mount will not let you change lenses quickly. My view is, don't even try. If you ever have that need,carry two cameras. The meter uses a "400" mercury battery not sold in the US, but adapters are available. The meter is a simple Cds averaging meter, quite accurate but easy to fool if you are not careful. I don't use the meter, so that's my own solution. I have never had the shutter speeds go far off - the other things below will fail first in my experience. The finder could be brighter, but so could many others. Not a problem with that lens open.

I find that when these cameras fail, after many years, almost every time the mirror sticks in the up position. Also the flash socket can break off if you are rough with it. Many places still repair them, though.

I have cleaned the bottom of the screens carefully with tissue and lens cleaner but I don't know if you are really supposed to do it. If I were you I would send the camera for CLA and let it be done that way.

If you can, get an original equipment metal lens shade, or some other with the same thread. This is not for the sun so much as because the front element of that lens is exposed and easy to bump. Be very careful if you carry the camera around where you might hit it without that or at least a filter on it.

Fungus... try not fiddling with the pentaprism/screen. Use a soft brush (with the camera upside down) and see if it falls off. Also see if the foam in the mirror return is not goo. If so replace it.

Battery: Any 394 battery or similar works well with these cameras (upside down though). Their light meter is a bridge type so voltage doesn;t affect it much. I compared to a Nikon and a Spotmeter and got reading +/- 1/3 stop.

The 50/1.4 is an outstanding lens, very nice and soft when fully open. Any 49mm filter/shade works well, I have one of those collapsible rubber ones.

If you want it CLAd, I have to reccomend contacting Eric (look for pentaxrepairs in evilBay), he'll leave the cmaera good as new.