Fall color in Idaho

klsphoto

I'm sure somebody's gonna tell me I'm wrong, but I can only remember about three colors from the several times I've been in Idaho: gray, brown and sagebrush green. If the rains are early and plentiful, you'll see more green, otherwise brown...

I live in the Idaho Falls area. As noted above, you might be running a bit late for the best color though there will be "lingering" color. You will pass through some great country on you way called Utah. In the Central Mountains, the color can last well into Oct.

Still, Idaho is worth Film or Pixels (whichever you prefer). An hour north of Idaho Falls will put you into Targee National Forest which borders Yellowstone and Grand Teton N. P.'s and Mesa Falls outside of a town called Ashton, Id. (on US HWY 20) is a couple over looks on the Henry's Fork Snake River, with two water falls. Worth the extra fuel for sure. Also, the South Fork Snake River along US HWY 26 towards Jackson, Wy. has some over looks and there might be lingering color.

There has been a lot of smoke lately from all the fires but I hope the coming wet weather they are forcasting puts them out and cleans the air.

Below is a shot of Upper Mesa Falls, on the Henry's Fork Snake River near Ashton Idaho not far from YEllowstone N. P. taken last November:

Good Luck

Dave<div>00I2Q7-32371484.jpeg.3d00a0089f023771507e5260cca36780.jpeg</div>

David, thanks for the information. I think you're the only one who picked up on the fact that we'll be on a road trip covering all of the area between So. California and So. Idaho. I do hope to catch color in Utah due to the lower elevation and latitude.

You sound like you may be close to the area we're coming to visit (Swan Valley) with an eye to relocation. If you would be willing to share some of your knowledge, would you drop me an e-mail?

Thanks, Karen