I'm new to MF and to the MF digest. I've dealt for years with 35mm

slide storage and labeling but now I need to figure out the best way

to store and label the 6x9 film I'll soon be producing. (just ordered

a Fuji GSW 690III).

With 35mm slides, I use PrintFile brand archival plastic sheets and

labels on the cardboard slide mounts. I'd like to know how other 6x9

shooters store and label their slides and negs. Slides will, of

course, be unmounted and the archival page makers apparently don't

cater to 6x9 shooters.... Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Every archival page maker has products for 120 roll film! You want pages with 4 rows (each row will hold two of your frames - one page will hold the 8 frames from your roll of film). There also are pages with 3 rows, but these are not practical for 6x9 format

Great camera! Have fun!

As an extension to Jeff's question, how do people handle 6x6 and 6x4.5 slides? Presumably unmounted, but do you keep them in strips or cut them into individual frames? If the former, what do you do when you send them to a lab to be printed?

Alan

I shoot 645 and 6x9 and keep all of my 120 exposures in archival pages.

B&W negatives, which are not in sleeves, are stored in Vue All Vertical orientation pages for 6x7. (No number on them) They work fine for 645 with four on each row and a total of 16 per page, or for 6x9 with two exposures per row, or 8 total. Both are perfect for one roll.

For color transparencies in sleeves there are fewer choices. Many pages will not fit transparencies in sleeves. They will be so tight you'll go crazy trying to slide them in. I use Print file "Ultima" series (70-3HB). Transparencies slide in easily. But they are only 3 rows, so it takes more than one page per roll.

<p>Archival page makers do cater to 6x9 shooters. Take a look at PrintFile 120-4B pages. These hold two 6x9 frames per strip (or three 6x6 frames per strip), four strips per page. See <a href="http://www.printfile.com/">www.printfile.com</a>. 6x6 and 6x9 are easy to store. 6x7 is slightly harder. Congratulations on your new camera. I am sure you will enjoy it.</p>

Thanks for the info. on storage...but I have seen no mention of how 6x9 is being labeled. Do those of you using the archival sheets simply write on the sheets? And I too am curious as to how one SAFELY sends a 6x9 original to a printer.

>Thanks for the info. on storage...but I have seen no mention of how 6x9 is being labeled.

I have the same question: it's easy enough to write captions on 35mm slides but how does one do that for MF transparencies ? I have never seen a storage file sheet that has room for captions or technical information for each shot.

My system for labeling 6x9 and 6x6 slides may be crude but it works. After all, this is not the most difficult obstacle to fine photography, is it? I put the strips in archive pages stored in binders. Behind each page is a form that I made which is divided into blocks, 8 for 6x9 and 12 for 6x6 pages. The form I made has blanks for date, exposure, etc. It would be nice to have the labeling where it could not be separated from the actual slides but this works. The system evloved from the stamp I had made for use on the back of contact pages. I print a contact sheet of all my negatives, use a rubber stamp to put the data blank on the back and then store them in a binder with the negative page.

You might like to try the system that photo libraries use - that is mounting your 6 x 9 transparencies in black masks 120mm x 90mm, each with a transparent sleeve. I use 6x7 but they come in all formats and are made in Britain by Kenro,of Swindon. Your transparency does not have to be unmounted for publication. You can provide a lot of information on each using stickers and they can be stored in a suitable box (e.g shoe box)I buy mine here in Australia and your local photo store should be able to get them for you.They are not cheap. . about 65 U.S. cents each. Ray Osmotherly

I use 2.25 x 3.25 archival envelopes from Light Impressions. They call them HD PolyChron Envelopes item # 5635 $7.85 per 100. They can be reached at 800-828-6216, www.lightimpressionsdirect.com.

I store each image seperately in an archival envelope, attached to a 4x6 note card where I lable all info. I then store the cards in a file box sorted by years. I have sent the image out for printing crad & all and the labs love it.

I do this for ALL my images (including 16mm & 35mm).

FWIW: When I shoot 35mm I leave a blank frame between each image getting 18 pictures on a 36 exp roll. While this may seem wastefull, it make printing so much easier with those nice 3/4" "handles" on each side of the negative!

It amazes me when I see photographers save all their bad negatives but will toss a bad 35mm slide quickly! Sheet film users learned long ago to toss out the bad negatives. Keep the good stuff & toss the rest.

Tony