Camera travels the world -- Part II

David M.

"This idea has already been done by the Argus Group. I believe they are now on their second or third Argus World Tour. Its not an original idea."

David, are we not allowed to do this if it's not an original idea? It's just for fun and an interesting project for the group members here. Maybe you can tell us; Is there a board of directors somewhere that we are supposed to ask permission of? We don't want to do something baaddd here!

By the way, David, I wore underwear today, but I don't think it was an original idea. Come to think of it, I wore socks today too! Man, am I in some kind of trouble, or what? Should I have contacted the Underwear Originality Counsel about this? Please let me know right away, so I'll know how to dress tomorrow!;) ;) ;)

Customs for this project is a non-issue. Believe me, I've done this with a Minolta XG-1 (just posted in Mike's first thread, sorry, didn't know about 2 and 3). Lex's suggestion for a multilingual letter is in theory a good idea, but in practice it's not necessary. Each participant fills out a customs declaration to send it to the next person. This form is all that Customs cares about. Since all the cameras you are considering are old, used, and under $100 (most under $50?), no Customs Service in the world will give a hoot - you don't even need to lie on the declaration. If, however, you wave some fancy letter around, you might just give them ideas, and in some places you might even encourage theft.

I also encouraged participants in my project not to insure the camera. If the camera got lost, it wouldn't matter because I lost $30, but because the effort of so many people involved in the project would be lost - no insurance will be able to bring that back, and a high insurance value will simply draw attention and could encourage theft.

Just my 2c