So these are the Photo.net bestsellers.

johnw63

<p>While I don't know most of those books and therefore shan't comment

on them, I note that Harry Potter outsells the best-selling (indeed, the

only) book of/by Cartier-Bresson. And Lange, Evans, Avedon, Atget?

Nowhere

-- each is outsold by <cite>Elvis and Me</cite> and <cite>The

Encyclopedia of Tarot</cite>.</p><p>My own most recent purchase (not

received yet) is a vast collection of photos by Edouard Boubat, and the

latest one I've got my paws on <a

href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BBDL">seems

to be of no interest whatever to Photo-Net readers</a>.</p>

Interesting list. Different from the original list, which seems to be more How To books versus books with great photos. Another interesting point is that the number 2 book on the original list, Understanding Exposure, is by Bryan Peterson, who also has another book on that list, Learning to See Creatively. What's interesting about that? Well, many of the pictures I've submitted here were critiqued by him, and the ratings here are in some cases the very different from his ratings. Interesting. By the way, Bryan gives some great online classes and reasonably priced in person workshops (hope that's okay for me to say here).

Maybe that was over the top. My favorites, at this very moment in time:<p>

Disfarmer: Disfarmer<br>

Avedon: In the American West<br>

Yanagi: White Casket<br>

Palma: Il Silenzio dei Maya<br>

Rio Branco: Miguel Rio Branco<br>

Scianna: Feste Religiose in Sicilia<br>

Moriyama: Vintage Prints<br>

Iturbide: Pajaros<br>

Boystown<br>

Bravo: 100 Years, 100 Days<br>

Araki: 100 Flowers, 100 Butterflies<p>

Well that's a start...

heh........that's a nice start Jeff, thanks. sometimes I wish cataloging collections of things one enjoys to have around them could be made easier than it presently is.

anyhow, on the original post, I think that however well it might represent the actual case of purchases by members here, it seems to be severly heavy on the "technical book" side. Although I have read my fair share of tech books, most were borrowed from the library and I took notes or copied the pages I needed. The monograms, etc. I own had to be bought due to their image content only being enjoyable in the book form.....although original prints would do nicely too.......heh, if I could afford such an endeavor.

For me one of the reasons that the best books aren't on top is because of one look at the prices on jeff's link to the photo-eye pdf. $50 US is about my limit on any book. Especially if I havent been able to see it before hand, such as at Amazon or Photo-eye. And Borders and B&N are sadly lacking in photography book stock to check out before hand. I actually find the Philadelphia Art Museum more help in that arena........but their prices are outrageous. I actually would buy $100 book if I could see it before I payed the money.....sadly, one thing the internet buying doesnt allow, and apparently one thing the local book stores aren't willing to provide.

I wish more photography image oriented houses made use of Amazon's and photo-eye's "look inside this book" feature. I made a few expensive choices thanks to those features.

I think the reason that the photo.net -> Amazon list is comprised of the books that it is, is because many photo hobbists want to know HOW to do stuff. I think the photo community has a lot of aspiring folks who need the help that a good "how to..." volumm might give. Look at the computer shelves at your book store. How many " How to..." books do you see vs. catalogs of great web sites, or slick data base design, or artfully typed out C++ code ? I guess my meaning is that there seems to be a LOT more people with a need to know stuff than people who can just appreciate stuff.

So, are any of those books a really good "How to" book ? You guessed it, I'm still in the "need to know" group.

what do you shoot? color? black and white? do you use film or digital? do you print in the wet darkroom or "digital darkroom" (ie computer and inkjet printer)? 35mm, medium format, large format? If B&W film, do you do your own film developing?....your own printing?

I would recommend different books depending....

At this point, my desire to know is how to go from snapshot like pictures with an SLR to taking shots that might be worth hanging on my wall. Composition. How to get on film, what your eyes see.

Here's an example of what I mean...

I was leafing through the photo section at my local bookstore and found a book called " Changing light "

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861083807/qid=1109830606/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-2833313-3660820?v=glance&s=books

It was mostly a book on how the light can change on a scenic shot and make BIG differences in the result. Conceptually, I know this. Anyone watching a sunset change can understand this, but... anticipating the change and knowing ahead of time, that something good will come up is the key. Knowing how to use the equipment to best record the shot is also something I need to really grasp. When to use which lens, which film, which camera settings to make it great is a biggie for me. The odd, but cool thing about this book is that the guy used a simple Pentax ME Super and a 50mm lens for a LOT of the shots. A simple camera and a lens that most people turn their noses up at.

I probably ought to get that one, but...If some one here can say that, if you like THAT book, you will get more out of THIS book and it also covers, bla, bla, bla . That's what I am looking for, with this thread. Are these actually good books for the subject matter, or are they just popular ?

<p>First off, you can strip a lot from an Amazon URL: <a

href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861083807/">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861083807/</a>

is enough.</p><p>I'm a crap photographer myself, but my few moderate

successes have resulted from perseverance. Most people (certainly

including myself, most of the time) just can't be bothered. Get this book

-- thanks to the author's praise of inexpensive equipment, it may in

effect pay for itself -- and get out there and burn up film (or

megabytes). Learn from successes and failures.</p>

that's probably a good book, although I've never read it. Any book that ties nature shots and quality of light together, at least has a good idea of what nature photography is all about. If nature is your thing, you also couldn't go wrong with John Shaw books for color mentioned in Amazon's list of pn best sellers.

Mind you, from experience, these shots they all do are NOT walk up and take the shot. You can get to the point of semi predicting possible light conditions for a given scene, but you will have to spend lots of time just waiting....and waiting....for it to actually happen. Not to be done while friends or loved ones wait. I've spent 3 hours just waiting to take about 10 shots. I read about a photographer in western US that spends days camped out in the spot he is interested in just waiting for the perfect light.

I consider myself an intermediate photographer and have grown tired of the "how to" books and glossy photo-gear magazines. I just bought "In Focus- National Geographic Greatest Portraits." What an amazing book! It is a great introduction to the evolution of photographic styles, techniques, and tastes and to some of the legendary photographers. The book contains a half dozen essays by the likes of David Alan Harvey, Jodi Cobb, and William Allard Allard. I recommend "In Focus" to any amateur photographer looking for motivation and insight for going beyond family snap shots and cliche travel photos.