Fall Colors vermont

notso bad

I will be going to Vermont for a fall foliage family trip (second week of

october) and we will be based in the north in Stowe. I have found out about

moss glen falls, and a roadside waterfall (moss glen falls in granville)about

an hour south. Of course, I will be checking the fall foliage reports and we

will go find the colors where they happen to be recommended at the time.

Any particular advice over where to go, and what to go see? (and photograph)

Hard core hiking is out, since we usually will have little children in tow.

(though they can be left behind for a few hours once or twice)

thanks

I seem to remember going to Vermont in late September for fall color, the 2nd week in October may be a bit late. I am usually heading to North Carolina around that time or by atleast 3rd week.

At anyrate, highway 100 out of Newport all the way south to Jacksonville is a wonderfull route to drive for fall colors. And remember, all roads in Vermont take you to a major highway. We loved trying to get lost.....just make sure you have a good map.

Fall Foliage is coming a bit early to the Northeast Kingdom this year. As I type this I

amlooking out the window at the trees on our mountian and there is already a reasonable

amount of color. By the second weekin October there will still be some really good color but,

unless the weather changes (as it frequently does), you will be past the peak right around

Stowe. However, if you jsut drive South on Rte. 100 the color will just get better and better.

Right in Stowe itself bundle the kids in the car and head to the Trapp Family Lodge, fun itself

but keep driving .... the next farm just past the Lodge is a Yak Farm .. the kids will have a

ball.

While we are on this topic, I just bought a copy of David Middleton's <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/Photographer-Guide-Vermont-Perfect-Shots/dp/0881505331/sr=1-1/qid=1158503677/ref=sr_1_1/103-4850394-5074210?ie=UTF8&s=books"><I>The Photographer's Guide to Vermont</I></A>.

<P>

Middleton is a fairly well known nature photographer and teaches a number of photo courses. He was our group leader in an 1998 international photo trip. At that time he was in the process of moving to Vermont to be close to his family. I have not been in touch with him since that trip.

<P>

The books starts with some basic photo techniques about light, the need of a clean background, tripod, polarizer, etc. The bulk of it is about the various photo locations in Vermont and exactly where they are on maps inside the book. Overall, I am quite happy with it.

Shun, thanks for the info. I may go and buy that book. I will be following the foliage reports anxiously, so we can see where we can drive for the best color. Tickets, vacation, and lodging make our trip dates inflexible, but ... have car, will drive.

I also am excited about getting some waterfall shots since there seem to be several good ones close to or even in Stowe, VT

<p>I often refer to this site for my foliage updates in other parts of the state: <a href=http://www.foliage-vermont.com/><u>Foliage Vermont</u></a>. If you will be around the second week of October, you may want to consider visiting Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area for the collection of Snow Geese there. Hope you enjoy your trip!</p>