Hi-matic 11 easy flash question...

This is on my Himatic 11...I know for easyflash you set the ring on

the flash symbol and set your guide number on the dial to the GN of

the flash you are using(film speed too) and shoot away with the flash

on manual and the camera should close/open the aperature as you focus

to get the proper exposure.

BUT if I want to shoot with an auto mode on my Vivitar 283 I dont

have a dial to set it to say F8 only dial I have is shutter speed...

any way around this?(thinking of an easy way to do bounce flash with

my 283)Anyone got a link to the manual for this camera?

Rob

Rob,

I don?t know enough about the Himatic 11 to answer you question. I do know that on some small fixed lens rf cameras setting the aperture to an arbitrary value is not possible. I can address the premise you question is based on. The auto settings of flashes are less accurate than the GN & distance focused set apertures.

The Vivitar 283 is a great flash but in auto mode it works by measuring the amount of light reflected back from the subject. Therefore, the size and reflectivity of the subject effect the exposure. In contrast, for cameras (e.g., Canonets, Olympuses RF, Minolta RFs, etc.) and lenses (e.g., Nikkor 45mm f2.8 GN) with GN focusing the exposure is determined by the flash energy (GN), distance of subject from camera, and aperture. The reflectivity of the subject does not effect the exposure. Of course the focus could be off, or the flash GN overstated by the manufacturer etc., but these can be calibrated for. You can never calibrate the reflectivity of your subject, unless it never changes.

Sorry for being so pedantic,

miles

To maintain the aperature at say f8 you have to first focus, then read the distance, then multiply this by 8 to set the guide number on the lens to give the f8 you require. Its simply the reversal of the formula: aperature = guide number divided by distance. Dont forget to keep measurements in the same units (ie meters or feet) as the appropriate guide number.

Thanks Miles I agree on the reflectivity vs GN style of flash metering. I just got a Sunpak 1600a flash and will use the easy flash

system of the camera and set the camera to the GN of the Sunpak

and be done with it..

Russell, yes that would work but I think my brain would explode

trying to do the manual calulation each time I refocused..

Thanks

Rob