down to the local camera shop? The obvious benefit from the local

shop is convenience vs Ebay seller price. I refer you to this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&category=43456&item=7504072917&rd=1

Sounds like a sweet deal, and the dealer looks reputable, but can

anyone share any opinions as to the best way to go about it. I don't

want to get burned.

I don't know about this dealer.

I'm always afraid of spending this much money online, unless it was from a well known vendor (like Ritz or B&H).

This may be a reasonable price given the recent $200 rebate on the camera (which the vendor surely has already taken) and the general prices of the other items in the kit. I'm sure the tripod is not top of the line and a 256 meg card does not cost a great deal these days. I'm not sure of the cost of the lenses, but I'm sure they can be found pretty cheaply.

So, after typing a bit, I guess the deal looks reasonable (it is not a $900 camera being offer for $100 or $2,000). So the question comes down to what if it only takes a picture every other time you press the button, or some other problem you cannot know without touching the equipment. I don;t know what protections e-bay offers you. Again a well known vendor theoretically offers a higher level of security in this area (as does a local camera shop). Visa/Mastercard may also provide some protection for online purchases.

Don't know that I helped.

Brian

The main disadvantage is you don't get to hold the camera.

Next, if there's a problem with the camera or the lens(es), you could find it very frustrating to have either repaired, although I imagine you can simply go through Nikon, provided it's not a gray market product.

In the end, if you simply want the cheapest price, then the choice is easy. If you want peace of mind, your local dealer might be the better option. Although neither is guaranteed.

I subscribe to a few photo magazines. In the back there are numerous pages of vendors. Quite a few of them offer some incredible deals. Well, about 8 years ago, I decided to make my first big purchase so I looked through all the vendors and found the cheapest one (I forget the name, but they were out of NY). They were offering the same camera as B&H, but for half the price! I called them up and placed my order. They were the rudest people I have ever dealt with. After I gave all my credit card and personal infomation, the guy turned into a monster and tried to sell me a bunch of crap that I didn't need at astronical prices. For instance "Super high capacity pro CR123 batteries" for $80! I can get them for $6 at Wal-Mart. I was a newbie and I almost bit, but I decided not to. The conversation ended when the salesperson swore at me for not buying what he was trying to sell me, then he hung up on me. I called back about 10 minutes later and spoke with the manager. He told me the camera I was buying wasn't in stock, even though the sales guy told me it was. I told him I wanted to cancel my order and he told me I would have to pay a restocking charge. After a few minutes, he agreed to cancel my order. From that day on, I have never dealt with anyone except B&H. B&H is reputable and the sales people aren't all that rude (well, for new yorkers that is...).

My advice, if it's too good to be true, then it can't be true. Stick with the well known vendors.

John- I have bought several lenses from eBay over the past 2 years and have had great luck. I have found prices that are outstanding.

I just purchased my Pentax ist DS and was in the same situation you are right now.

I ended up using B&H out of New York. Something this important should not be left to eBay. The local camera store price was about $200 higher for the exact same item. Several independent websites rate the online stores and their service levels.

I also purchased an extended 5-year warranty from Mack. They had a great deal on this too. Good luck.

I usually go on ebay for use item and for item that I know really well and can't get it anywhere else cheaper ... like dell laptop.

The deal is to read the little fine print on the ads and you have to read all recent feedbacks from that seller. Make sure all the positive feedbacks are items that sell at/near value the item you want to bid. For example, the user have like 100+ positive feedback on $0.99 items sold and selling a retail $8K camera for $4K, then this would be a scam in my dictionary. The key here is to look for the pattern of positive feedback, not the positive feeback alone.

Buy the body and a Nikon DX lens from Adorama, B&H or a local

camera shop. You'll get the rebates from a Nikon dealer. And

you'll probably end up paying a little less than or the same as

this package without the cheasy cheapo tripod, CF card,

cleaning tissues, etc.

Reserve your ebay purchases for good used gear from reputable

sellers that don't add all those items to the purchase to lure you

in.

Thanks for all the feedback. I know about EBay....I'm running bb card auctions, but have seen enough of the scams and ripoffs to stay away. That's why I wanted your opinions. I'll stay with the local camera shop for the D70, and play it safe. For little things such as lcd covers and whathaveyou, I'll look around on EBay.

Buy the camera from a reputable on-line dealer -- they're easy enough to find -- or if a local camera store will give a 'fair' price buy it there to help keep them in business and be sure of good personal service when you need it. This said, over the years I have purchased from Adorama, J&R, Amazon and other on-line retailers without a hint of trouble. Even bought my old 2020z from a tiny place in New Jersey that had it to me in 48 hours UPS ground at a great price. My rule is to never buy a good piece of vital equipment without a conversation that assures me that the folks at the other end aren't going to con me with high pressure or a bad warranty. Always ask before giving them a credit card.

As for eBay, I've had pretty good luck with accessories like batteries and drive enclosures, though having received a couple of duds in the mail I am increasingly persuaded that there are on-line spots like Tiger Direct, Bugeyedigital, or Cyberguys that offer good prices and excellent service for my cheapies.