Repair of Rollei TLR case

ken_munn

I have a Rollieflex F 3.5 Planar, in great condition, except that the

case is coming unstitched - the side panels are coming away from the

back. Is this a feasible DIY repair (if so any recommendations on the

type of thread to avoid future problems) OR can anyone recommend a

repairer in the UK, OR should I just store the case away as is, and

buy a suitably sized modern camera bag to use?

Thx in advance for any help.

Ken

Ken,

I will try to fix the Rolleiflex TLR ERC by a good shoe repairmam.

I usually store and carry my TLR in a camera bag with other Rollei accessaries. I heard that the leather case is more fungus prone.

The only time I use the ERC was to travel (airplane) without a camera bag usually I put them, wrapped with other soft cloth, in my hand carried backpacking bag.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Ken:

Yes you can do it!

From a hobby store (there used to be Tandy Leather but I believe they've gone out of business) get a leather sewing awl and ask about linen thread. I have repaired several camera cases this way and the repairs from this total amateur look very nice, indeed. Be sure to use thread as close to the color of the existing thread as you can find. If you plan to redo all the stitching on the case, I suggest you pick a thread color close to the color of the leather. You'll be very pleased with the results if you work carefully and don't hesitate to remove work you don't like and redo it.

The case edges will have small holes already punched where the original stitches were. Use these holes...don't create new ones. Pull gently but firmly to seat your new stitches and arrange the stitching so the thread lies in the indentations made by the original stitching; the finished job will look so much better.

This is a great job for a winter evening, beside the fire (that's from a guy living in Florida, sigh.) I am NOT a leather worker...really an amateur, but I enjoyed this little repair. Good luck!

DaveinFLL