OM-4t vs. leica M6

pekka_sulamaa

I don�t have (don�t the know it alls always start off this way?) the OM4t, but I do have the OM1 and OM2 Spot Program and a Leica M6TTL.

I�m not sure what you believe you are missing by not owning a Leica?

They are both about the same size, and both capable of great results. The Leica is much easier to focus, especially in low light, and is quieter, but that�s about it.

The Om4 can be used for more types of photographic endeavors.

If you can keep the OM and pick up an M6, go for it!

They are two different cameras used for different applications but there are areas in which they can perform the same function.

I use my OMs� to shoot color slide film, but I use my M6 for asa 400 Black & White film especially in low light conditions.

Regardless if you are buying an M6 or not - Keep the OM<br>

<br>

<ul>

<li>The OM-4T brings not much

money to pay for the Leica</li>

<li>The OM-4T has  a

more sophisticate metering system</li>

<li>The OM-4T is a 

much more general purpose camera than the M6</li>

<li> For super wide

angle photography (anything shorter than 28mm) the OM has a better

finder</li>

<li> For  tele

photography (anything longer than 50mm) the OM has a better finder (the

90mm and 100mm 2.0 Zuikos are as good as contemporary Leica lenses)</li>

<li>For shallow DOF, wide open

aperture photography, the OM SLR gives much better control of 

the placement and composition of sharpness/unsharpness (not surprising)</li>

</ul>

Most people who have a rangefinder also use an SLR. They are not even in competition with

each other. You may as well ask if a Minox subminiature or a 20x30 view camera is the

right thing for you.

Why not try a Canonet QL17 or another cheapo fixed lens rangefinder to see if you like it?

You'd be out a hundred bucks, max.

I've been there. I've used OM's since the early 70's and ended up in the mid 90's with several OM bodies, two of which were OM4t's; plus the normal assortment of lenses and goodies. Then I got the itch for a Leica, just to see what all the hubub was about, as much as anything.

So I bought an M6, and then another, and then dumped them both for an M7, buying a mixture of vintage, modern Leica (very few, too much $$$), and Cosina/Voigtlander lenses along the way. It's a very nice camera system if you're shooting people, candids, street stuff, or just want a high-quality, discrete camera.

In the end, I found that the two cameras complemented each other very well, with each doing what they were meant to do. The Leica, with it's quiet shutter, great finder, ability to connect with the subject eye-to-eye, and superb optics, is a great people and candid camera. The OM's are great at what SLRs do well, wide, macro. long, and flash.

So I'd suggest you find a way to try an M6 if you haven't and shoot a few rolls. I'd also suggest that you be very selective in buying Leica lenses, unless you have lots of cash to spend. The Voigtlander lenses are very, very good, esp for the price. Zeiss Ikon is another option for modern lenses at a slightly higher price.

I've done it too. In the end, I decided I prefer the OM-4Ti for the type of shooting I do. Modern Leica lenses may be a little better wide open, and the shutter is a bit quieter, but in the end, it makes little to no difference to the final result. FWIW, I think the OM system was mechanically quite a bit more clever than the M system. Since digital is pretty much obliterating 35mm these days anyways, I decided to keep the OM and a few lenses (28/2.8, 40/2, 50/1.4, and 85/2) for the times I am likely to shoot 35mm film in the future. Lens prices are generally a tenth of comparable Leica glass, so it's easy to pick up a lens here and there and not feel too badly about it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Leica M system is a great one, but the OM is not a slouch, either. I use a M6 and M2 and an OM-1 and OM-2 and it's difficult to say what camera is more enjoyable. If forced, I would chose the M2 and the OM-1, and if forced again, maybe the M2, but I would have the OM-1 always in mind.

</p>

I'm primarily a 50mm user, and I can say that while the Summicron 50mm f/2 is a bit better lens than the Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, in practice the differences are not decisive and personally, I find that, for example a good film development (I always shoot b&w) is a lot more important. Here there are some pictures:<div>00I2G7-32368484.jpg.2d9151a42f9cd0cd598aa4221078f1fa.jpg</div>

Glad to see you're sticking with a great camera, particularly as it's one you said you were happy with. Camera envy is something we all succumb to, but remember you don't have to own a Porsche to enjoy driving. Lovely cars, but there are plenty of other fine vehicles out there too. There's a lot to be said for being happy with what you have in life - and if it's an OM4Ti then even more so.

Also remember RF and SLR shooting are like chalk and cheese.