polaroid type 80 films??

seza_bali

I have recently got a polaroid back for my holga and already wasted 2 packs of film. I have

no problems using a holga but have no experience with the polaroid process. I want to

shoot b&w outside so should I get the type 84? And I already tried the type 87 -which is

ISO3000- at night with and without flash and it all came out pure black. I thought I could

use ISO3000 at dark but it doesn't seem to be working? How dark is too dark for ISO3000?

I dont like using flash that much but is it a must with the holgaroid even with the ISO3000

film?

I know I have to play around with it but the polaroid films are so expensive and I hate

wasting it!!

im assuming the holga back uses standard pack films and not 4x5..i might be wrong..

665 is ASA100 and gives you a negative as well as a print. 667 is ASA3000, but youll have

to have a decent amount of light or a flash with a holga..i believe they use a shutter speed

around 1/60-1/125 which is far too fast for nighttime without flash. you could pull the

spring out of the shutter and make a bulb exposure every time; use a tripod and you

might not need a flash but youll also get movement from holing the shutter button down.

First, make sure you've removed the darkslide. There's a storage slot for it on the rear part of the Polaroid back so you won't lose it. The holga has a shutter speed of about 1/100th of a second and unless you've modified it you only get about an F11 aperture. If you have done the aperture mod you probably have about F8 on the Cloudy setting and F11 on the Sunny setting. So, with type 84 film (ISO 100) you should be able to shoot outdoors with moderately bright sun without any filters and get reasonable results. With type 87, you can shoot indoors with fairly low light.

If you want to shoot at night in darkness, then you'll probabaly need to modify your Holga so it has a bulb setting and a tripod mount. Or you can just buy one of the newer Holga's that already has these two features.

Rachel

I agree with Rachel. I have been "toying" with my Holgaroid for a few weeks now and find that some situations are not exactly perfect for the Holga and Polaroid combo. I find myself using the flash quite a bit even in sunlit conditions. The ISO 100 films will work well in lower light with flash at close distances. I've been having a blast with the type 85 outdoors with flash and in studio situations where I slave strobes off of the Holgaroid. The negatives have been nice even when the prints seem a little off in terms of exposure. You can check the Polaroid site (www.polaroid.com) or the Holgamods site (www.holgamods.com) for further information on modifying the Holga to have a larger aperture. It's actually quite simple. I just think the Holgaroid takes a little getting used to. Once you do it's a lot of fun. Holgas have never been known for capturing perfect images and to me that's the beauty of it. Have fun! I'd love to see some images if you get a chance to post some.

I've had no real problems using Type 84 and Type 89 Polaroid film with my 120S while shooting outside. I've run 2 packs of each through the back. I go out shooting during the bright noon-day sun (lunch hour) in Chicago and it has worked out fine. I mean, of course, I've made mistakes with shooting, but all the errors are mine not equipment related.

As Rachel said, check to make sure you pulled the dark slide out before shooting (and that you took the lens cap off!! :) I've done both so far.

I have a pack of 87 waiting for me to try. I was going to use it inside during parties to see what I'd get. I may or may not use the flash with it :)

Ordering multiple packs at a time form B&H saves you money with shipping.