Snow Geese migrating through Quebec--When?

frank_dzambic

I'd like to drive to Quebec for the annual Snow Goose migration, but

I'm having a hard time pinning down a more specific time than "Spring"

for when the migration occurs. Can anyone help? Are there any

specific locations where I'd be most likely to spot them, especially

where they may hang around for a while? Is it true they number in the

thousands or tens of thousands?

Soon. I live in the Ottawa area and in the last couple of years I have noticed that the geese, both Canada and snow, migrated throughout April, depending on the weather. It's getting warm here now very quickly and I have heard Canada geese honking already up in the sky.

There are nesting sites near the St. Lawrence river near Cornwall, and all along the Ottawa river east of Ottawa all the way to Montreal. Both these rivers are dotted with marshes along their banks. There is a large snow geese area just east of Quebec city, near Montmagny. Try googling bird watcher sites.

It's hundreds of thousands, though they aren't all in the same spot at the same time. You'll find most of them in Baie-du-Fèbvre. I've always found the spring

migration a little disapointing for photography. The birds are in large numbers but often dispersed. I much prefer the fall migration in Cap-Tourmente. You can find info on Baie-du-Fèbvre at www.oies.com (in French only).

Robert, the nesting sites you mention around Cornwall, and along the Ottawa River. Are they Canada Geese nesting sites, or Snow Geese nesting sites or both? And is it simply a matter of finding a road that runs along the Ottawa River and following it until I see the obvious nesting sites, or are there preferred locations along the river?

Tom, we have Canada Geese year round in Southern Ontario. You're more than welcome to them. They're the equivalent of giant seagulls. Believe me, the novelty soon wears off once you can't take a stroll through parks and along riverfronts because the goose turds are piled ankle deep.

Erick, thanks for the info. I was planning on going to Quebec for Fall Colours this year, and this Spring trip was going to be a first time "exploratory" kind of trip. So, what you said about Fall being much better for Snow Geese viewing is probably good news. About the French only link you provided, that's my biggest concern about travelling in Quebec. I barely speak a word of French, and am not at all sure how well I'll be able to find my way around. Madame MacGuire (grade school French teacher) would rap my knuckles with her pointer if she heard me say that! I still remember her. (She was a tall, tall woman, with a thick coiffed head of hair that always reminded me slightly of a powdered wig, with thick heavy make-up, and yellowed teeth.) <shudder>

Thanks guys.

Sounds like they're just starting to arrive.

Quoting a posting from a birding list, the header being "Snowgeese: Cornwall" (Cornwall is just over the west border into Ontario)

Now I can confirm that my first flock of Snow Geese was heard last Saturday

night. It was only a few seconds, at a distance, so I wasn't quite certain

but what a night this has been. The sky has been alive with the sounds of

flock after flock of Snow Geese going over. First there was a single large

flight of about 1,100 heading east at 7:30 p.m. Then 40 minutes later the

reverse trip heading west began. Most flocks were 25-100 birds but a few

large ones of 200-400 passed overhead, well illuminated by city lights.

Getting a good tally is difficult but likely 2,500-3,000 birds were

observed heading west. Then the flocks started heading east again, all the

while calling loudly. This was probably the best night show I've seen with

these birds. The traditional areas around Riceville, Casselman, Carlsbad

Springs, Alfred, Alexandria and North Lancaster should be checked for

possible concentrations as fields open up this week.

Wow, 1/4 million. The noise level must have been astounding. Many birders have mentioned that even with just a few thousand the noise level is up at the "jet taking off" level.

Of course, there's also the caution that they do leave a "trail" when they fly over, so bring an umbrella :).

Frank, I don't know enough about the locations near Cornwall to say which species is predominant. All I know is that I have seen both. I'll have to defer to other posters and to the bird watching sites.

And, btw, I used to live in Toronto and know exactly what kind of a mess the geese make along the waterfront and in the parking lot where I used to work. I watched a TV documentary about the problem of urban geese and the situation can be improved by including marshes in waterfront areas, and not just converting everything to parkland. The birds prefer the marsh over the grassy lawns. But once you get past a certain number, there's just too many of them.