Is this 19" ACER TFT appropriate for precision digital darkroom work?

I would say No. The contrast ratio is too high, the dot pitch is way too high( pictures will not look sharp), repsonse time is too high, and the use of analog connections. It is better to use DVI (Digital Visual Interface). Save up your money and get a Apple Cinema Display, and yes it can be used with a Windows system. http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Here is the tech specs of the monitor in questions

Size/Type

19.0" TFT LCD

Native Resolution

1280 x 1024

Contrast Ratio

800:1

Horizontal Viewing Angle

170?

Vertical Viewing Angle

170?

Audio

Speakers not included

Signal Connectors

VGA (analog D-sub)

Chassis Color

Black

Pixel Pitch

0.294mm

Brightness (typical)

300 cd/m2

Response Time (typical)

23ms

Colors Supported

Up to 16.7 million

Power

Voltage: 100-240V

AC adapter: external

Kensington? Lock

Supported

VESA Wall Mount

Supported

I have had a very bad experience with Acer customer service. A $2000 laptop stopped working after the power cable connector broke off the motherboard. This happened under normal use with no drops, tugs, etc. We were told by the local repair shop that this was a problem with this model. However, Acer refused to replace it without our paying $500 for a new motherboard. Insisted it was abuse. We went back and forth and finally decided not to have it repaired. Many months later we got a phone call saying they had decided to fix these for free after all. Can't tell you how irritating their customer service department was. Might have been the complaint we filed with the BBB and the California AG. Or maybe they just finally recognized their mistake.

This is the same company that was involved with a class action lawsuit a few years early for putting used parts in "new" computers. I think that was the charge.

One bad experience obviously doesn't mean they are a bad company. But I'd do some serious research before sinking a lot of money in.

mac

"The contrast ratio is too high, the dot pitch is way too high( pictures will not look sharp)"

How can the contrast ratio or dot pitch be "to high" ? A 150 dpi monitor is going to be twice as sharp as a 75 dpi monitor which sounds like a good thing to me and the more gamut ( contrast) you have to work with the better, since you can make a profile for a high contrast screen, but if a screen is too low in contrast there is no way to correct it.