UV Filter or No?

jml

I'm purchasing new lenses and was surprised to read suggestions to

not use UV or Skylight filters. Any first hand reasoning out there

on this? And for you pro-filter shooters, is one kind better than

another? General brands say verses expensive multi-coated? I'm

purchasing today so need to know. Amazing how what was standard one

day, is controversial the next huh? Thanks.

Jan,

Regardless what lens your buying it is always best to protect it with a UV filter. If you bump your lens on somthing that scratches it or even cracks the glass, you can always replace the filter. With out the filter you will be replacing the lens.

As for what type you may not see much of a difference in UV filters but trust me there is a difference. If your lens is not an expensive one a Tiffen UV filter would be fine. Personaly I use B&W filters but they are kind of pricey.

If your buying a specialty filter such as a polerizer ect.. then I would recomend B&W with out a doubt. It just depends on what your willing to spend and how much you have in your lens.

Either way regardless of what type of glass you buy, it only makes sence to protect it. Have a great day.

If you do a search on this, you'll get a host of opinions on the subject, including <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Bajl">this one from last week</a>. Usually the cheap insurance/protection vs. cheap filter in front of $$$ glass, so the question usually is what's more important to you - peace of mind or absolute image quality? Good filters are less flare-prone, but will add up quickly especially if you have different filter sizes on your lenses. For physical bumps, I find a good lens hood goes a lot farther.

If you're going to put a "protection filter" on your lens make sure it's multicoated or has a MC label on it. This will reduce its tendancy to create flare. Ignoring this will save your lens at the possible cost of your images. Theses filters also tend to cost around $30. As for what others have said. I don't remember where I heard it, but a lens hood is possibly the cheapest accessory you can buy that will improve your photography the most, and it can help protect your lens. I usually shoot without filters unless I'm in the studio shooting white folks in the winter time, then a 81b warmup can keep people from looking too pale. Sometimes I'll use a polarizer if I'm shooting outside.

It's true about lenshoods being good, cheap protection, except for the wide zoom, petal-shaped hoods--they are too dinky to offer much protection, although something is better than nothing. I always buy multi-coated (expensive) UV filters for all my lenses, but try to remember to maybe take the filter off when shooting against the sun or heavily backlit scenes. I have both B+W and Hoya multi-coated filters, and both seem to be very good. Have not so far noticed any problems, although the Hoya multi-coated are a little difficult to polish. It is false economy to buy cheap filters for expensive lenses.

On rare occasions I'll put one on a lens when I'm out in the ocean shooting pix while fishing. Most of the time I forget. I always use a lenshood and sometimes carry a camera hanging "backwards" on the strap so the lens is facing me when it's not in my hands being used. Other than my 15mm Voigtlander all my lenses are at least 25 or 30 years old and in good shape. I do use caps when I'm not using the cameras.

B+W if you must.

I don't use them in general, they reduce the light that reaches the film/sensor. I do use a hood on all lenses and always replace the cap when not in use.

I am fairly careful, however. In about 20 years I have had no front element damage/scratches. I used to use the UV filters for protection, but found they alter the light just enough that I don't like them.

I have several (still) that I have given away as I have sold lenses, etc. I still have some old generic ones, if you have not yet purchased some, let me know.