time lapse?

brian_keyashian

Is there anyway I can do time lapse photography with a rebel xt? I have the RC-1

infrared remote also.

I want to take pictures of a match lighting and burning in a dark room or liquid

flowing between two containers. This will be my first attempt at "artsy"

photography so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Try this:

using a 556 double timer chip and a reed relay,(radio shack) build an interverlometor. choose your time ( remember, 30 frames/sec ideal).

If the XT has the same pin input as the digital Rebel (300), it's a 2.5mm stereo plug and the end pin and shell will fire the shutter.

I'm in the middle of building a combo radio control (from a cheap R/C car), intervelometor and wired remote for my Digital Rebel. Hope t works...

Harry,

Do you mean you've made a device/workaround to make your Rebel shoot 30 frames per

second?

If so, could you please tell me how? This is quite a feat and would be very interested in

learning how it's done.

Also, if am not pushing it - could you have diagrams and pics of how you made this

device, including all the parts you used to make them.

That would really be fantastic.

Thanks.

Brian,

From what I can understand - with shooting the match lighting up and the water falling -

is that you want something that runs in slow motion when played back as a video.

To do that - you would need something that takes photos at tremendous speeds.

Even Harry's 30fps would not be enough to show a slow mo of the match lighting up.

NTSC which is the US standard brodadcasting frame rate is 29.97 fps (also considered as

30fps).

So even if you were to capture at this speed, when played back as a video it would only run

in real time.

What you need for a slow-mo would be at least 60fps which is the motion slowed down to

50% of it's speed - or even better 1000fps which is like those ultra high speed cameras

which can capture a bullet going through a piece of card.

(Don't quote me on the exact speed though - I just know it's a lot of frames per second)

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...