Pentax K1000 Wont Advance Properly When Loaded

sabrina_h.

Hello, one of my classmates (photography class) just bought a Pentax K1000 last week.

She has problems loading the film and then advancing.

Seven people have tried to load this camera. I tried to load it 5 times today. The

symptoms; when you load a new roll of film, the camera will advance 2 times and jump off

the taking spool. It happened 5 times in a row and we could not get the film to stay on

the taking spool; tried it both opened and closed. We also tried to load it last week and

the same thing happened.

I looked at the sprockets and they seem to be all there. The only thing I can think of is the

taking spool has too much tension?

I dont have much experience with the Pentax system but I have used many manual

cameras in the past (and current) with the same loading procedures; Canon AE-1 and a

few rangefinders.

She bought the camera used. I told her to take it back. This may not be necessary. Any

thoughts?

My older Pentaxes had a penchant to be difficult to load film.

Check the manual -- Steps 1 thru 4

URL:http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/K1000.pdf

I found that advancing the film twice with the back open would do the trick. Then close the back

Also be sure to push the rewind lever down.

Otherwise it is probably not functionally properly.

How far are you pushing the film leader into the takeup spool? When I first had my K1000 I had similar problems with film not always staying on the takeup spool; but it's because I wasn't pushing it in far enough.

Try pushing the leader it so it just starts to poke out one of the other slits in the takeup spool; but not enough that it will contact the film as you start advancing. If it still pulls out THEN you have something to worry about.

Alan

I have run my K1000 for about 25 years now and the only time I've had a film advance problem like that is from not pushing through enough leader film through, as discussed above. Depending on how well it has been looked after, a service might be in order. It's still an excellent camera and can produce some very fine results.