I'm sure this is an often asked question but I'm new to this forum so I'll ask

it again. COMPACTS ... point and shoot whatever you want to call them? I have

a D70s with an 18-200 VR lens which is a great camera and was bought as a

progression from a Fuji S7000 which I still have. The Nikon is a big camera

and not something that is convenient to carry around unless you are

specifically wanting to take photos. There seems to be a zillion compacts out

there but from the point of view of forum members ... what is good? Something

that can lurk in my pocket but still take quality shots with an ability to be

creative in it's functions when need be!

The Fuji F30 has been recommended on this forum I note, and I have seen a photo

in the current gallery taken with a Canon 620 that blows my socks off.

I'd suggest that you find a store with a good selection of the best, and handle a few for yourself. There are differences you only discover when handling them, and we are all different in our perceptions of what feels, looks and handles best for us. Also, the translation from reading reports and seeing other's work to actually getting a camera home and seeing one's own results can be surprising. I got the A620 of my dreams, but I haven't yet begun to get the images I've seen from Wilson Tsoi here at PN. He has a way with Canon compact cameras!

That last imagage that appeared of Wilson's work ... the Chicago streetscape was some photo! The man's skill and perception would relate to any camera he picked up within reason and the work that went into that photo is so creative it astounds me.

Went to a camera dealer today and fiddled with a 620 and I must say I liked the feel of it for a point and shoot! The camera that led me to buying the Nikon D70s (Fugi S7000) is an interesting problem ... it's not really small enough to cart around in your pocket or a belt case and doesn't really have any advantage over the high quality compacts that are available now. Hopefully I can sell it for the price or near, of a high quality compact. I have noticed there are new 620s for sale on *bay and I saw one go tonight for $385.00 Aust which is $100.00 cheaper than the best price I was quoted by any shop in Brisbane!

I have never tried the F30, but I have read in forums that many users are satisfied especially if they shoot in low light. I have a Casio Z850, it fits in my pocket and I carry it everywhere all the time. It has a super bright LCD and a small view finder (vs the F30 that has no VF). I've used Rudi's Bestshot software amd cam get the 850 to ISO 6400 and beyond (it is very noisy as the ISO increases beyond 400). It is a responsive camera with minimal shutter lag. It has extensive manual controls and a superior user interface. I have had very good results. I bought mine at techtoysforless.com and I saw it is available with a leather case for about $260.

As for prices on the A620, I looked on the Costco Web site and saw it was about $230. Canon just released an upgrade to the A620 with a larger LCD and other upgrades. I am sure if you look around you should be able to purchase it for between $225 and $250. I had a precessor model and it took great pictures and one great feature is the flip out screen - - great for street photography and pictures of children and animals. Bear in mind this is a larger and heavier camera than either the F30 or Casio 850, with the Casio being the smallest - about 1/4" thinner than the F30. I do not consider the A620 a pocket camera, it will not fit in a pair of blue jeans, while the Casio 850 will, with room for a small wallet.

Good luck on your decision.

Howard

I purchased a Fuji F30 recently. I find its size and weight about right for my hands and

fingers, it's about the size of my old favorite 35mm compacts, and the biggest attraction

to me is the fact that it can operate with reasonably low noise and image quality at ISO

400-800. Most compacts are limited to about ISO 100-200 max for the quality/noise level

that I'm interested in.

Two downsides to the F30 for me are the fact that it cannot save RAW format files and

takes xD cards. The latter is an annoyance, but I think one 1G card will do me for anything

I intend to use the camera for. The lack of RAW format limits editability of the captures,

but in the end for my intended purposes the F30 does a better job than most compacts.

It's not a replacement for my DSLR, just a handy camera to have when the DSLR is too

much to carry.

Godfrey