M8 in the flesh at last!

andyaitken

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, hold your breath! Everytime when Leica introduces a new camera the "war" is crtain! Whilst I enjoy reading very informative arguments and counter arguments from both sides, I sometime feel like saying please keep control and try not to bash anyone personally. Lets welcome the newcomer in shape of M8 and let it prove to all would-be owners its true capabilities. I use both systems so cant be for one or the other. Horses for courses! I am awaiting an affordable Digital module for R8 if one comes across.Take care all.

From the looks of things, it seems Leica did an exceptional job. I'm all over this thing, it has exactly what I wanted and I can see one sitting next to my m3 in my Domke bag. I wonder if I will get used to not taking the bottom off after 36 shots.

I just came home from work today and found an envelope from Tamarkin Camera marked

on the outside "The New Leica M8 Digital Camera". Inside is a nice brochure with no

pictures but asking for preorders and offering free shipping, as I remember.

I'd be right in there with an order IF money was no object. When I win the Florida Lottery

either Wednesday or next Saturday - the lottery officials couldn't promise a win - then I'll

fly up to New York, buy a couple of new lenses, and place a deposit on the M8. If I don't

win -but can't imagine such a thing happening - then I'll take my trusty M6 out for it's

weekly run.

You don't really need to speak French to understand this, but since I do I'll give an

abridged translation:

- Camera has a vertical shutter with a stripe, no dot.

- There's no film wind lever

- There's a screen and controls on the back

- Here's what it sounds like

Blah blah blah.

Looks nice, shutter sound is not atrocious but certainly doesn't have the pleasing thunk of

the M6 (I have M6 TTL).

My lens "collection" consists of a 50 Summicron bought new a few years ago and a 35 f3.5

and 90 f4 that I got from Paul N on this forum (nice lenses, by the way, I use the 35

regularly, rarely touch the 90).

Best bang for my digital dollar is still the new rebel XTi, but I'm not buying anything but

film and D76 these days, I can shoot and develop a lot of pictures before I cross the

$1.2-1.5k a new SLR outfit would set me back.

In view of the large price increase on the M7 not so long ago comparing its price to the $5k M8 pricetag leave my budget little comfort. Lets also observe that the Nikon F6 is very quiet in quiet mode and very well made and sells for less than $2k.

There is now an alternative to either slr or rf and that is live/direct view digitals. One sensor takes the picture and another sensor is used to view the scene and is not cutoff by the mirror movement. It seems promissing we will see.

Also, in my opinion Leica mechanical perfection of the wind and rewind of film transport gears and other things that reasonably increased the price of Leicas should not apply to the same degree in the digital age. M7 itself has had its share of electronic problems, who can safely predict the record of repair for the M8. Many digital cameras are quite compact and getting one that has a queit shutter is easy. These last few points sold Leica to me in the 1970's when these benefits were the source of pride for having a Leica. Used digital cameras no matter how high end have a steep depreciation curve and this is not something Leica collectors are used to in the past.

Michael translated well what the man said. Just forgot to add what he says while trying to winding the "non existent wind-on lever" : "...the thumb is getting bored..."

Maybe not that important after all. The camera looks great, anyway. I'll be waiting to see some photos made with it.

Its not all about megapixels (although the m8 is on the high end of this also) and you know its a leica-the styling and quality. The lenses. And it does have some features (1.3crop) that set it apart from the rest. As stated the pricing is reasonable (for a leica) personally if I buy one I'll have to wait some time till it hits 1k for instance that I can afford.

So here's a question: If the M8 closes most of the gap on film resolution, in other words, if a printed M8-captured digital image shows little difference from 35mm film prints, must we continue to subscribe to further digital technology advances? Can Leica settle in and once again resume ignoring galloping advances in the rest of the camera field? Or do we now hope to aspire to an MF film resolution? Or is this enough forever?