sony 3.2MP memory stick problem

Hi

I have a Sony DSC-P5 3.2MP which has been a good enough camera for several years.

Now, I am having problems. I insert an empty memory stick and it tells me there is no

memory space, and this happens with 4 different sticks, one of which is only a few months

old. Is this a camera problem or a memory stick problem? Can I do anything to fix it?

Thanks!

Jen

Jen, you probably have some other card reader device to get data off your Memory Sticks... does THAT device read the cards properly, and are the cards in fact all full?

Also, check for lint or dust in the slot inside your Sony digicam. It could be blocking one or more of the contact pins.

Be well,

Rob- I have not formatted them, don't know if I can? or should?

Jim- I use a firewire from the camera to the USB port. When I do this I can see the card is empty, but it says 'no memory space' when I switch it to photo taking mode. The card slot is very deep, I don't know if I could get in there to check for dust. Maybe I'll try blowing in there... I should get some canned air...

Thanks guys!

Jen

Okay Jen,

Put your camera in setup mode and find the menu option for formatting the Memory Stick, and format one of them. See if that gets you back in business.

You say you know the Memory Sticks are empty, so when you format them you're not losing pictures (formatting a memory device like a Memory Stick wipes out the data that keeps track of stored files, effectively erasing the memory... although formatting usually doesn't actually overwrite and blank out all of the stored data it will cause your camera to "see" the Memory Stick as a nice, new, empty critter.)

This may help you troubleshoot the problem. If formatting the Memory Sticks fixes things, you're all set. If it doesn't fix any of your four Memory Sticks, the logical suspect is a fault inside the camera's memory access circuitry. If formatting will fix some but not all of the Memory Sticks, you will have identified "bad" sticks and will know which one(s) to toss out.

Be careful with "canned air" around electronics. It's important to read the directions and pay attention to the orientation of teh can. If you discharge the canned air in a downward direction you might also discarge some of the product in supercold liquid form, which can mess up cosmetics of camera finishes and can have unpredictable (as in: not good) results on electronic bits. Used with care it is okay stuff. But we do hear on these forums the occasional "oops, oh dear!" story about canned air. A blower brush works just as well for most things, and will last for years, and is available for a few dollars at any good camera store.

Hope that helps. Be well,