will M8 shutter help protect sensor from dust?

gee-bug

Well, yes, having a shutter is better than having no shutter if the lenses come off. At least something stands between the sensor and Mr. Dust Bunny. DOn't know that it's any better than the DMR setup, though.

The M8, according to the menus visible at those web sites that have now busted the embargo, has a "sensor cleaning" setting - which just means the shutter can be opened for the user to brush off any dust on the sensor (sort of an extreme version of "Bulb").

Actually, on my R-D1 I had about 2 dust specks show up on the pictures in 8 months - and that included several shoots at a dirt-paved car track (where there are tons of dust in the air all night long. And I jsut set the camera to 'bulb' for cleaning (the R-D1 did not have a "cleaning mode")

Your post reminds me of some info on a phamplet I got from Tamarkin re: their pedd;ing of the M8 last weekend.

Among other things, if I order the body from them, for an additional $99 I can get their 'kit', which includes a sensor cleaning pack.

Also, should I buy a new lens (coded) with the body, they'll throw in an additional lens coding for free. Seems that coding is NOT by Leica, but by a third party.

Given the cleaning kit, must presume that the sensor can be cleaned at home.

However, the ability to clean it also presumes it will/can get dirty in use. Hummm

Jerry

"Seems that coding is NOT by Leica, but by a third party."

Do you have a specific document you can quote or is that just a speculation on your part? Since nobody but Leica knows the code sequence at this point, how could anyone but Leica provide the coding?

Now on the topic of the question, I hope the M8 will have the same hard-coated cover shield that the DMR has. It might not reduce the dust adhering (I'm told CCDs attract more than CMOS)but at least it will make cleaning less of a risky operation in terms of damaging the sensor.

It's a good question. not sure it would be better or worse than the DMR , I do know this in 14

months with the DMR i have only cleaned it 3 times and obviously it is the easiest sensor to

clean. The M maybe easier to clean than canons and Nikons because it will be a LOT closer to

the lens mount , so that will help with the digging in issue . Plus there is no mirror at all so

really i would assume at this point it will be very easy to clean.