Where to buy Canon lens in Portland, OR

bimbo_bob

I am going to visit Portland in two weeks and since coming from Europe

I would like to buy there a new Canon EF 100mm/2.8 macro USM. Can you

recommend me a good photo store, perhaps with the price for this lens?

What are the prices compared to those in B+H?

I have found an old thread on photo.net about stores in Portland, but

the last post there was from 2003.

I won't have a lot of time to spend for looking a good store nor to

take photos - it's a business travel :(

Thanks,

bimbo

It's been almost a year since I've been to portland but you'll have no trouble finding a camera store. Camera World is a really big one down town... can't remember the intersection, 6th st and something... you cant miss it... there are also hundreds of shutterbug, ritz, and wolf camera stores. Portland has a pretty good public transit system so you shouldnt have a problem getting around to the different stores. Just crack open the phone book when you get there and call around.

Camera World was bought by Ritz Camera, which is also Cameras West. They all have the same prices pretty much but if you have a print out of prices from B&H or Adorama that are lower, they will usually match it. Make sure you have a print out though or you will be out of luck because many things will be higher than the NYC stores.

I would go to Pro Photo Supply: they are usually well stocked with new and adequately stocked with used (all consignment)... the prices are slightly higher than B&H, but to even things out there are no sales taxes. As far as used, they use keh.com to price them.

I can give another high recommendation for Pro Photo Supply. The folks are

knowledgeable and friendly, they have most everything in stock, and have a good

collection of used equipment too. And not all their prices are higher than B&H: I recently

bought a new Nikon 17-55/2.8 there for $100 *less* than B&H wants.

Pro Photo Supply on NW 19th is the best place, followed by Suburban Photo in Beaverton. Avoid places such as Camera World (as many have correctly pointed out, now owned by Ritz), Wolf Camera and Kits Camera. Pro Photo is most likely going to have the equipment you want in stock and they offer very competitive prices with Adorama and B&H (and since there is no sales tax in Oregon and no shipping involved, you may actually save some case).

1st of all: welcome to PN as you are a first time poster.

2nd: I don't think buying via B&H is an option, because you need to ship to your credit card billing address, not the hotel where you are staying. Just send them an email and ask.

3rd: Any Ritz store will carry the lens, but it is hard to negotiate a good price at those places in my experience. Hope that someone around here give you a lead on a good large local store, and try to work out a bit better price, something that matches what you get at B&H or Adorama.

4th: "bimbo bob". don't use "bimbo" in front of your name in Scandinavia. it translates to 'stupid cheap blond'...

p.

<a href="http://www.prophotosupply.com/">Pro Photo Supply</a><p/>

<a href="http://www.sub-photo.com/">Suburban Photo</a><p/>

<a href="http://www.advancecamera.com/">Advance Camera</a> (Beaverton)<p/>

<a href="http://www.zotzdigital.com/">Zotz Digital</a> Zotz is down at the bottom of the state (6 hours from Portland) but UPS ground shipping to Portland is only 1 day. Worth checking prices/payment/shipping there, friendly bunch.

<< I don't think buying via B&H is an option, because you need to ship to your credit card billing address >>

B&H ships to my work address all the time (which is not my billing address). Would a hotel be any different?