spontaneously disintegrate after 5 years

How about:

1) Zeiss Ikon body somehow causes "bad bokeh" with Leitz lenses

2) Effective base length is too long, makes it difficult to focus

slower lenses like the Elmar

3) Lacks that certain "je ne sais quoi" of German brick cameras

4) Lack of lead weights makes camera less steady with slow shutter

speeds

1) film is too easy to load, no removable base-plate to drop. Doesn't create opportunity for news-groups to discuss how to best load the film

2) black finish doesn't wear off, revealing brass and tripling value of camera

3) no usage of 5-letter codewords in the accessories catalog. How is a user supposed to get any "Nooky"?

4) rangefinder doesn't flare.

regards

Vick

Too cheap - invalidates one's credentials as dentist or attorney.<p>

Says 'made in Japan' when it's really made in Japan.<p>

Shutter speed dial doesn't cost $125. <p>

The automatic functions of the camera (exposure, film transport,) are so well

executed that you will start to rely on them and even transfer control to them.

Your state of photographic alertness will vanish. In fact you will start to

become an operator of the camera, adjusting the wheels and not the driver

who forces the camera to do as he wants it to act.

<p>

In short, if anyone buys a ZI they will be turned into a photographic zombie,

this place will become known as the Forum Of The Living Dead, and Jeff

Spirer will moderate by means of a chainsaw grafted to his right arm.

"Since we all know that rangefinders without a red dot are inherently, tragically, outrageously flawed"... Guess my M2 needs a bindi!

I especially hate the Zeiss's big, high eye-relief Viewfinder; the whole sleek, rugged R.F. photog. mystique is ruined if people who wear glasses are encouraged to carry them.

Also that Shutter speed dial with A.E. compensation built right in, they lost an oppertunity to add another complicated looking dial there. The Zeiss looks like a camera anyone could use. Disgusting.

List of outrageous flaws of the new Zeiss Ikon RF...

Reported to be released for sale in the spring 2005... But in reality, it now appears it will not be available until August.

When it does finally arrive, it will only be available in silver chrome in the Western markets (in black and silver chrome in the Asian markets).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

"In short, if anyone buys a ZI they will be turned into a photographic zombie, this place will become known as the Forum Of The Living Dead, and Jeff Spirer will moderate by means of a chainsaw grafted to his right arm."

That's the funniest thing posted on this forum in a long time.

In short, if anyone buys a ZI they will be turned into a photographic zombie, this place will become known as the Forum Of The Living Dead, and Jeff Spirer will moderate by means of a chainsaw grafted to his right arm."

That's the funniest thing posted on this forum in a long time.

Can't agree more Matt, made me laugh out loud! just what I needed after a particulary bad day!

'3) no usage of 5-letter codewords in the accessories catalog. How is a user supposed to get any "Nooky"?'<p><p>

No. They're 6-letter names! I heard they would be coming out with table top tripod, a sandbag, and a gyroscopic stabilizer. All these accessories are intended to help the camera <i>stand still</i>.<p><p>

They're to be called KLAATU, BARADA, and NICKTO.<p><p>

>if anyone buys a ZI they will be turned into a photographic zombie, this place will become known as the Forum Of The Living Dead, and Jeff Spirer will moderate by means of a chainsaw grafted to his right arm.

As long as people keep posting digital equipment threads here - even pilfering complete bylined columns passing as their own - Jeff et al will remain a separate entity from the chainsaw.

All kidding aside (and it's been amusing), the shutter is the same as the R3A's and RD-1's according to Steve Gandy's "CV assembly line tour article". I own an R3A, there's a distinct metallic click, or click-click.

Frankly, I cannot wait until the Zeiss-Ikon hits the market. It has its flaws for sure. You cannot motorize or rapidwinderize it, nor do you get a 135mm frame. But it seems to be well made. It is going to be easy to load and reload in the heat of action.

Now just suppose the Zeiss-Ikon has a short production run like the Minolta CLE, which it resembles. Then we will be reading laments in this forum about the untimely demise of a modern day classic.