glenn_kroeger

I am going on a Caribbean cruise (not my idea!) and wonder about

bringing along my smaller LF outfit. While I will spend some time

snorkeling and sailing, I will have time on some islands (St. Thomas

and St. Johns, St. Maarten, Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia and San

Juan, Puerto Rico) to do some photography. Will I have problems

using a tripod and taking my sweet time to photography scenics and

architecture?

I went on a cruise in Novemeber, i was told no tripods allowed. So I had to leave my LF at home. I took instead a Leica outfit and a Rolleicord. The Leica for color and the Rollei for B&W. I was glad that I didn't have it. using the 4x5 in Cozemel would have been a nightmare, there were people everywhere! Also be very careful about leaving anything in your room. Ive heard many stories about going to dinner and comeing back to room to find something missing. Keep it simple. You'll have more fun that way. There are fews scans on my web site from the trip. Tikki huts and beach scenes. Good luck and have fun!

How much time will you have on each island? Keep in mind disembarking, transportation, and re-embarking time. I've been on several Caribbean cruises (not my choice, either) and was disappointed by the brief amount of effective shore time at most, but not all, ports. Consider time of day and light quality. Light and shadows are harsh in the tropics except early morning and late afternoon.

I wouldn't take my 4x5 gear, but I don't shoot architecture. If you must shoot architecture and need the movements and simply won't be satisfied with any other form of photography, take it. However, you might be better served by equipment that allows you to work more quickly and spontaneously. Getting to some of the best sites/sights requires hiring a cab. The meter will be running while you shoot.

My family and I have not suffered any crime on cruise vessels, but you should probably be diligent since I often hear comments similar to that of the previous post. I'd be more concerned by pick-pockets while I had my head under the cloth, than by on-board crime.

My experience has mirrored the others pretty closely...if going again, I would lean toward my 35mm outfit with a couple of zoom lenses (probably my 35-70 and my 80-205) and my PC 35mm. I could get along fine on that without bothering with a tripod...the PC lens can easily be used hand held when necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

funny how everyone says "not my idea" about cruies. I wouldn't go if my wife didn't like it so much either.

Had no problem bringing my tripod on the QM2 couple months ago. Got some nice shots on deck at twilight. Don't think I would bring the LF kit though unless there was a particular project in mind.