After you've burned photo's onto a CD, how do you name that CD?

The reason I ask is that I'm entering photo's in a juried exhibition

and they need to be sent on a CD with my name and an assigned PIN #

for consideration. This information needs to be seen before opening

the CD.

Thanks,

Tom

I am not sure if I understand your question, but I simply label mine "YEAR-NUMBER" and enter this information into a database. This lets me know when I burned it, and thus when to migrate the data (before the media rots etc.)

Normally you enter the CD name into the GUI of burning software BEFORE you burn the CD files. In EZ CD Creator which I use, when I select what files to burn, there is a directory structure shown in the lower display frame. I can select the default CD name shown in the lower frame and rename it BEFORE continuing to write the CD. If I remember correctly, I believe am limited to 11 characters for the disc name in EZ CD Creator. I think this may be a carryover from DOS days. I can't check right now so I may be in error on this.

Once the CD Disc is written to and the disc is closed (as opposed to the session) there is no additional update (CD name, etc.) allowed to CD disc. This of course is applicable only to CD-R discs. CD-RW and other re-writables are a different matter.

Gene

Ridgecrest, CA

Your question is somewhat ambiguous. Are you asking how to title a disc, or how to label it?

Obviously, you must label the disc according to the submittal rules. You can use a round paper label for discs, or a permanent, non-solvent felt tip marker directly on the label side of the disc. You can also insert a front card in the jewel case, 4.75"x4.75", with the appropriate title information. Without a front card, the CD label can be seen. If you use a front card, you should also label the disc - unlabeled discs are no better than coasters.

I name or title discs differently for archival purposes. I use a date code related to the shoot date, and a brief subject description. Generally, I have enough images for a particular shoot to fill a CD or two. You can also specify a "name" when burning the disk. With my software, this defaults to a burn date code, which I generally keep.

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I guess maybe the term "titling a CD", or how do you "burn a title onto a CD" would have been a much better description of what I needed to do. Thanks Gene, your answer was the most helpful. After reading your answer I was able to go back and figure it out. The CD is now in the mail.

Tom